Nov 3, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
The Giants won’t be picking up Ryan Vogelsong‘s $6.5 million club option for 2014, but they are talking about a deal with a lower price tag, sources told CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly.
Vogelsong, a big success in winning 27 games with a 3.04 ERA for the Giants between 2011 and ’12, slipped to 4-6 with a 5.73 ERA in 19 starts last season. He did improve somewhat after returning from a fractured hand, posting a 4.55 ERA in his final 10 starts. However, that came with just 27 strikeouts in 57 1/3 innings.
If the Giants bring back Vogelsong, it could be for a guarantee in the $3 million range, with incentives that would push him back up to $6 million or so. He’ll get a $300,000 buyout when his option is declined, assuming that isn’t folded into a new contract that gets announced first.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)