Nov 3, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
The Giants won’t be picking up Ryan Vogelsong‘s $6.5 million club option for 2014, but they are talking about a deal with a lower price tag, sources told CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly.
Vogelsong, a big success in winning 27 games with a 3.04 ERA for the Giants between 2011 and ’12, slipped to 4-6 with a 5.73 ERA in 19 starts last season. He did improve somewhat after returning from a fractured hand, posting a 4.55 ERA in his final 10 starts. However, that came with just 27 strikeouts in 57 1/3 innings.
If the Giants bring back Vogelsong, it could be for a guarantee in the $3 million range, with incentives that would push him back up to $6 million or so. He’ll get a $300,000 buyout when his option is declined, assuming that isn’t folded into a new contract that gets announced first.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)