Nov 3, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
The Giants won’t be picking up Ryan Vogelsong‘s $6.5 million club option for 2014, but they are talking about a deal with a lower price tag, sources told CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly.
Vogelsong, a big success in winning 27 games with a 3.04 ERA for the Giants between 2011 and ’12, slipped to 4-6 with a 5.73 ERA in 19 starts last season. He did improve somewhat after returning from a fractured hand, posting a 4.55 ERA in his final 10 starts. However, that came with just 27 strikeouts in 57 1/3 innings.
If the Giants bring back Vogelsong, it could be for a guarantee in the $3 million range, with incentives that would push him back up to $6 million or so. He’ll get a $300,000 buyout when his option is declined, assuming that isn’t folded into a new contract that gets announced first.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)