Nov 3, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
Marlins GM Dan Jennings tod us: “Mr. Stanton is NOT Available. He will be in RF at Marlins Park on Opening Day. We are building around him”
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) November 3, 2013
Stanton is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter and will still be a relatively inexpensive player, so there’s no reason yet for the Marlins to begin shopping him. But the young slugger’s salary will continue to go up and up until he becomes a free agent in 2017 and it’s almost a given that he will be moved eventually.
Stanton, 23, has an .889 OPS (138 OPS+), 117 home runs and 294 RBI in 489 major league games.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)