Nov 3, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
Marlins GM Dan Jennings tod us: “Mr. Stanton is NOT Available. He will be in RF at Marlins Park on Opening Day. We are building around him”
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) November 3, 2013
Stanton is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter and will still be a relatively inexpensive player, so there’s no reason yet for the Marlins to begin shopping him. But the young slugger’s salary will continue to go up and up until he becomes a free agent in 2017 and it’s almost a given that he will be moved eventually.
Stanton, 23, has an .889 OPS (138 OPS+), 117 home runs and 294 RBI in 489 major league games.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (116)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)