Nov 3, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Now that the World Series has concluded and the champagne-soaked streets of Boston have begun to dry, members of the Red Sox coaching staff can begin adding their names to interview lists for the various managerial vacancies around the majors.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo plans to do just that, interviewing for the Cubs’ opening “most likely early this week” on the north side of Chicago.
Lovullo played for the Tigers, Yankees, Angels, Mariners, Athletics, Indians and Phillies over the course of an eight-year major league playing career and has served as a manager and coach at multiple levels of MLB-affiliated ball since. He was a candidate to become the Dodgers’ manager back in 2006 before Los Angeles opted for Grady Little and he was considered a finalist to become the skipper of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2007 before that gig went to John Russell.
Chicago has already interviewed former Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and former Nationals manager Manny Acta. Brad Ausmus also interviewed and was thought to be a favorite at one point, but he just agreed to replace Jim Leyland in Detroit.
The Cubs fired manager Dale Sveum at the end of the 2013 regular season after two disappointing years.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)