Nov 3, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Now that the World Series has concluded and the champagne-soaked streets of Boston have begun to dry, members of the Red Sox coaching staff can begin adding their names to interview lists for the various managerial vacancies around the majors.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo plans to do just that, interviewing for the Cubs’ opening “most likely early this week” on the north side of Chicago.
Lovullo played for the Tigers, Yankees, Angels, Mariners, Athletics, Indians and Phillies over the course of an eight-year major league playing career and has served as a manager and coach at multiple levels of MLB-affiliated ball since. He was a candidate to become the Dodgers’ manager back in 2006 before Los Angeles opted for Grady Little and he was considered a finalist to become the skipper of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2007 before that gig went to John Russell.
Chicago has already interviewed former Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and former Nationals manager Manny Acta. Brad Ausmus also interviewed and was thought to be a favorite at one point, but he just agreed to replace Jim Leyland in Detroit.
The Cubs fired manager Dale Sveum at the end of the 2013 regular season after two disappointing years.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 41
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 32
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)