Nov 3, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Now that the World Series has concluded and the champagne-soaked streets of Boston have begun to dry, members of the Red Sox coaching staff can begin adding their names to interview lists for the various managerial vacancies around the majors.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo plans to do just that, interviewing for the Cubs’ opening “most likely early this week” on the north side of Chicago.
Lovullo played for the Tigers, Yankees, Angels, Mariners, Athletics, Indians and Phillies over the course of an eight-year major league playing career and has served as a manager and coach at multiple levels of MLB-affiliated ball since. He was a candidate to become the Dodgers’ manager back in 2006 before Los Angeles opted for Grady Little and he was considered a finalist to become the skipper of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2007 before that gig went to John Russell.
Chicago has already interviewed former Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and former Nationals manager Manny Acta. Brad Ausmus also interviewed and was thought to be a favorite at one point, but he just agreed to replace Jim Leyland in Detroit.
The Cubs fired manager Dale Sveum at the end of the 2013 regular season after two disappointing years.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 38
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)