Nov 4, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
Buster Olney of ESPN.com has a juicy rumor, reporting that the Diamondbacks and Cubs are talking about a potential Jeff Samardzija trade after previously engaging in some talks around the trade deadline.
Samardzija is 29 years old and under team control for 2014 and 2015, but he’s about to get expensive via arbitration and failed to build on a nice 2012 by taking a step backward this year. Of course, even that step backward included racking up 214 strikeouts in 214 innings, but Samardzija posted a 4.33 ERA and now has a 4.32 ERA in 66 career starts.
Adding to the intrigue of a potential move to Arizona is that Samardzija and then-Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams got into a weird little shouting match during a June game and afterward Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told reporters that Samardzija should “shut the [bleep] up and pitch.” Williams is now the Nationals’ manager and Gibson would surely be willing to forget and forgive to add a mid-90s throwing starter to the rotation.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)