Nov 4, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
Buster Olney of ESPN.com has a juicy rumor, reporting that the Diamondbacks and Cubs are talking about a potential Jeff Samardzija trade after previously engaging in some talks around the trade deadline.
Samardzija is 29 years old and under team control for 2014 and 2015, but he’s about to get expensive via arbitration and failed to build on a nice 2012 by taking a step backward this year. Of course, even that step backward included racking up 214 strikeouts in 214 innings, but Samardzija posted a 4.33 ERA and now has a 4.32 ERA in 66 career starts.
Adding to the intrigue of a potential move to Arizona is that Samardzija and then-Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams got into a weird little shouting match during a June game and afterward Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told reporters that Samardzija should “shut the [bleep] up and pitch.” Williams is now the Nationals’ manager and Gibson would surely be willing to forget and forgive to add a mid-90s throwing starter to the rotation.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)