Nov 4, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
Buster Olney of ESPN.com has a juicy rumor, reporting that the Diamondbacks and Cubs are talking about a potential Jeff Samardzija trade after previously engaging in some talks around the trade deadline.
Samardzija is 29 years old and under team control for 2014 and 2015, but he’s about to get expensive via arbitration and failed to build on a nice 2012 by taking a step backward this year. Of course, even that step backward included racking up 214 strikeouts in 214 innings, but Samardzija posted a 4.33 ERA and now has a 4.32 ERA in 66 career starts.
Adding to the intrigue of a potential move to Arizona is that Samardzija and then-Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams got into a weird little shouting match during a June game and afterward Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told reporters that Samardzija should “shut the [bleep] up and pitch.” Williams is now the Nationals’ manager and Gibson would surely be willing to forget and forgive to add a mid-90s throwing starter to the rotation.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 4
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 49
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)