Nov 4, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
Here’s the wrap on how Monday’s qualifying offer deadline went down. First, here’s a quick guide to the qualifying offers game:
- Teams are allowed to make $14.1 million qualifying offers to free agents they’ve employed for at least a year and thus secure a draft pick if they depart. That pick will come immediately following the first round of the draft, regardless of what team signs the player.
- Teams that sign players who were given qualifying offers lose their first-round pick, as long as that first-round pick isn’t in the top 10, Teams with top-10 selections lose their next picks instead.
- Why $14.1 million? That’s the average of the top 125 player salaries. It’s up from $13.2 million last year.
- Players given qualifying offers have until Nov. 11 to accept or reject them. Players rejecting the offers will still be allowed to negotiate and re-sign with their former teams.
What we learned throughout the day:
- The Yankees have made qualifying offers to Robinson Cano, Hiroki Kuroda and Curtis Granderson.
- The Cardinals have made an offer to Carlos Beltran.
- The Blue Jays have declined to give one to Josh Johnson.
- The Reds made an offer to Shin-Soo Choo, but not to Bronson Arroyo.
- The Indians are giving an offer to Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said that Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Napoli and Stephen Drew are getting qualifying offers, while Jarrod Saltalamacchia is not.
- The A’s declined to give offers to either Bartolo Colon or Grant Balfour.
- The Mariners extended an offer to Kendrys Morales.
- The Braves made a qualifying offer to Brian McCann, but not to Tim Hudson.
- The Royals made Ervin Santana a qualifying offer.
- The Pirates did not make an offer to A.J. Burnett.
- The Rangers made Nelson Cruz a qualifying offer.
In all, 13 free agents received qualifying offers, with no real surprises either way.
Matt Garza was the lone elite free agent ineligible to receive an offer. He was traded from the Cubs to the Rangers in July.
Here is the rundown of qualifying offers for the top 25 free agents from our overall 150.
1. Robinson Cano (2B Yankees): YES
2. Jacoby Ellsbury (OF Red Sox): YES
3. Shin-Soo Choo (OF Reds): YES
4. Matt Garza (RHP Rangers): ineligible
5. Ervin Santana (RHP Royals): YES
6. Ubaldo Jimenez (RHP Indians): YES
7. Brian McCann (C Braves): YES
8. Curtis Granderson (OF Yankees): YES
9. Carlos Beltran (OF Cardinals): YES
10. Hiroki Kuroda (RHP Yankees): YES
11. A.J. Burnett (RHP Pirates): NO
12. Nelson Cruz (OF Rangers): YES
13. Mike Napoli (1B Red Sox): YES
14. Tim Hudson (RHP Braves): NO
15. Stephen Drew (SS Red Sox): YES
16. Bronson Arroyo (RHP Reds): NO
17. Jarrod Saltalamacchia (C Red Sox): NO
18. Joe Nathan (RHP Rangers): NO
19. Bartolo Colon (RHP Athletics): NO
20. Ricky Nolasco (RHP Dodgers): ineligible
21. Jason Vargas (LHP Angels): NO
22. Kendrys Morales (1B-DH Mariners): YES
23. Brian Wilson (RHP Dodgers): ineligible
24. Dan Haren (RHP Nationals): NO
25. Scott Kazmir (LHP Indians): NO
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 30
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)