Nov 4, 2013, 7:02 AM EDT
The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that Major League Baseball has told the Oakland Coliseum Authority that unless the Authority renews the A’s lease in Oakland for only two years — which the A’s and MLB want — instead of five — which the Authority wants — that the A’s could move to AT&T Park in San Francisco and play its home games as early as next year.
Fun threat! And the visuals on that would be amazing, of course. Especially on those days when the A’s and Giants both play at home on the same day as they do a handful of times each year.
Of course, how realistic a threat it is is another story. The logistics would be hard. But much harder would be getting the Giants approval, which would be required. The same Giants which are objecting to the A’s playing in San Jose as it is. This sort of approval would have a totally different set of incentives, though. For one thing the A’s would presumably pay the Giants huge rent. For another thing, it’d, by definition, be a temporary move. And one that one would assume would end up with the A’s out of town entirely to the first available permanent home than it would end up with them in San Jose, which the Giants don’t want.
One other fun thing: If the threat works and the A’s get only a two-year lease extension, figure on the Coliseum becoming even more intolerable a place for baseball. Think about it: the Coliseum Authority will have a short-timer tenant who likes to play hardball. Think they’ll go out of their way for the A’s in that situation? I probably wouldn’t.
Anyway, I wouldn’t bank on the A’s playing in San Francisco next year. But the relatively audacious nature of this threat will probably lead to many more fun twists and turns as we creep toward the end game in this sad affair.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)