Nov 4, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
As is usually the case, the Tigers closer situation is uncertain heading into the offseason. That’s because the guy they finally got to stick in the role this past season — Joaquin Benoit — is a free agent. Dave Dombrowski addressed the closer role and other matters yesterday, and John Lowe of the Free Press has the story.
Upshot: sounds like they’re not messing around with Bruce Rondon again. Maybe he’s in the major league bullpen mix, but the Tigers are going to try for a proven closer (to the extent that term means anything). Benoit is one of the proven closer candidates, by the way. Because unlike last May he is now proven. Or something.
Also: Dombrowski surprised no one in saying that it’s unlikely that Jhonny Peralta will be back. They have a shortstop in Jose Iglesias, he said, and while Peralta got some time in left field for Detroit in the playoffs, they still think of him as an infielder. You figure that Peralta will shop himself as a shortstop too, given the relative dearth of offense at that position in the game.
Oh, and go to the end of the article for the mention of Robinson Cano. It’s the first time I’ve seen anyone mention him and the Tigers in the same breath. My assumption is that it’ll be among the last too, as the Tigers’ payroll is already huge. Of course I didn’t think they’d sign Prince Fielder until the moment they did too, so never say never.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 34
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)