Nov 4, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Another way to read this is “the Yankees really do plan on re-signing Robinson Cano, but (a) they don’t want to be left with their pants around their ankles in the event he bolts; and (b) even if he does want to come back, it’s be nice to at least pretend we could go a different direction for bargaining purposes.” George King of the Post:
According to industry sources, general manager Brian Cashman has checked on second baseman Omar Infante during the period when teams and players could talk about everything but money.
That ends Tuesday, when teams can negotiate dollars and free agents can sign.
It’s been several months since we’ve been in hot-stove mode, so in case you forgot: everyone checks in with everyone on everyone. Sometimes it’s significant, sometimes it isn’t, but reporters who hear about it will always talk about it.
This one: I wouldn’t consider it significant unless and until Cano is linked strongly with another team.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 162
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (162)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)