Nov 4, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Another way to read this is “the Yankees really do plan on re-signing Robinson Cano, but (a) they don’t want to be left with their pants around their ankles in the event he bolts; and (b) even if he does want to come back, it’s be nice to at least pretend we could go a different direction for bargaining purposes.” George King of the Post:
According to industry sources, general manager Brian Cashman has checked on second baseman Omar Infante during the period when teams and players could talk about everything but money.
That ends Tuesday, when teams can negotiate dollars and free agents can sign.
It’s been several months since we’ve been in hot-stove mode, so in case you forgot: everyone checks in with everyone on everyone. Sometimes it’s significant, sometimes it isn’t, but reporters who hear about it will always talk about it.
This one: I wouldn’t consider it significant unless and until Cano is linked strongly with another team.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)