Nov 4, 2013, 9:34 AM EST
Another way to read this is “the Yankees really do plan on re-signing Robinson Cano, but (a) they don’t want to be left with their pants around their ankles in the event he bolts; and (b) even if he does want to come back, it’s be nice to at least pretend we could go a different direction for bargaining purposes.” George King of the Post:
According to industry sources, general manager Brian Cashman has checked on second baseman Omar Infante during the period when teams and players could talk about everything but money.
That ends Tuesday, when teams can negotiate dollars and free agents can sign.
It’s been several months since we’ve been in hot-stove mode, so in case you forgot: everyone checks in with everyone on everyone. Sometimes it’s significant, sometimes it isn’t, but reporters who hear about it will always talk about it.
This one: I wouldn’t consider it significant unless and until Cano is linked strongly with another team.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 15
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 74
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)