Dustin Pedroia to have thumb surgery November 12

Nov 5, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT

dustin pedroia getty Getty Images

Jackie MacMullan of ESPN Boston reports that Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia is scheduled to undergo surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb next Tuesday (November 12). The thumb surgery was fully expected, but the exact design of the operation could be a surprise:

“I guess because I played with [the injury] the whole year, it’s made it a little tougher,” Pedroia explained Tuesday. “If they do the normal surgery, there has to be some good endings [of the ligament] to re-attach it. If there’s not, we have to do it a different way.”

That “different way” would involve the extraction of a wrist tendon, which would then be used to re-attach the torn ligament in his left thumb. But the expectation remains that Pedroia will be ready for the start of Red Sox spring training next February in Fort Myers, Florida. “They made it seem like it’s no big deal,” Pedroia told ESPN Boston. “It may cost me an extra couple of weeks longer to recover, that’s all.”

1. bigharold - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Yeah but all that hustle, head first, all out, no holders bared play and the attitude that is the origins of Pedroia’s play is really what is the problem here. I don’t think surgery on his thumb will correct that, .. nor should it!

Carry on Mr. Pedroia!

• aceshigh11 - Nov 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Pedroia plays as hard as Pete Rose…a total grinder who gives 100% EVERY GAME, no exceptions.

I love that guy.

2. rickdobrydney - Nov 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Will he have beard surgery as well ??? Yeah, he is the ultimate grinder — 150% at all times —-

3. 4d3fect - Nov 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Next..beard surgery.

4. 4d3fect - Nov 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

@ rick, d**n. beat me to it!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3265)