Jay-Z could be in trouble for giving Robinson Cano a $33K watch

Nov 5, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT

Jay-Z Robinson Cano Geno Smith AP

I’m still mystified anyone wears watches anymore, but what do I know. The fancy people seem to love them. Jay-Z is fancy and he gave Robinson Cano, who is also fancy, a $33,900 watch for his birthday. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that this may have run afoul of union rules:

Section 5(B)(5)(a) of the Players Association regulations states: “No Player Agent or Applicant shall provide, cause to be provided or promise to provide, any money or any other thing of value to any player, or any person related to or associated with such player, the purpose of which is to induce or encourage such player to use or continue to use any person’s or firm’s services as a Player Agent, Representative, or Draft Advisor.” … Sources said that the Players Association has interviewed several of the principals and that Jay Z could be subject to unspecified discipline if he is found in violation.

Kind of weird given that Cano moved on to Jay-Z months ago. And weird because this is not college football. But rules are rules.

Mostly weird because of watches, though. I really don’t get why anyone has a watch anymore.

1. sjtorpitt - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM

It’s a watch, calm the F down.

• Tim's Neighbor - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I’d take a 33,000$ watch right now. Could use the money and ebay could use the business.

• skids003 - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

He isn’t in “trouble.” This guy went to Cuba for a vacation, and didn’t get in trouble. How is this trouble?

2. tfbuckfutter - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

You want to talk about weird…

First it was pocketwatches, then straps to wear pocket watches on your wrist, then we migrated to using our phones as watches which we keep in our pocket….and now, even though it sounds stupid, the smart watches may actually make sense.

As for this story….how surprising that someone with no qualifications or background in this field would run afoul of the rules.

He should have hired Master P.

• asimonetti88 - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

According to Jay-Z, he’s qualified to be an agent because of his days selling drugs.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

According to everyone, Jay-Z is qualified to do anything because he landed Beyonce despite having his face.

• chacochicken - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM

The problem is selling crack still doesn’t make him seem as smarmy as many long time sports agents.

• dondada10 - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:48 PM

3. hughhansen - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I love my watch. I look at it 20-50 times a day. It’s an incredibly easy way to find out the time.

I could also find out the time by pulling my phone out of my pocket, but that takes at least 100 times longer than glancing at my watch.

Now that I have a smartwatch, I can read email and duck phone calls without having to take my phone out of my pocket. My watch’s utility and value to me is off the charts.

4. NYTolstoy - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

what’s wrong with watches? Most nights after work my phone is low or dying so I look at my watch to see the time. Sometimes at work I need to check the time and oh look I have a watch. It’s not like its heavy to carry or a burden. Can your hand not support the weight of the watch Craig? Also when was it fancy people only where watches? That’s a jump to make

• rbj1 - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Indeed. Much easier to glance at my watch to get time & date than pulling out my old cell phone. Plus, I sometimes leave my phone in another room. Never have left my wrist in another room.

• asimonetti88 - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM

It’s also easy to get distracted by looking at your cell phone. I just need to know what time it is… I look at my cell phone for the time and all of a sudden I realize I’m 50 points down in Words With Friends and now I’m playing Scrabble.

• pipkin42 - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Also, a watch can be looked at discreetly during all number of times when it might not be good to look at one’s phone. During a lecture. While teaching. During a meeting. During a movie. When trying to get out of talking to someone at a party.

A watch is also one of the few pieces of jewelry which it is generally deemed acceptable for a man to wear, so it’s a nice way of accessorizing one’s appearance while still staying within the rules of propriety.

• NYTolstoy - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM

All your answers are on Par with what I go through on a daily basis. I can’t have my phone out at work so a quick glance let’s me know how many more hours before lunch :) and yes a nice watch can complement a suit or attire. I didn’t even know people hated watches? when did this movement begin? Mabye the 80s when I was still trying to keep disco alive. ah memories

5. largebill - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Haven’t worn a watch since I retired. Haven’t missed it. Still never late unless it’s the wife’s fault and a watch wouldn’t change that.

6. kalinedrive - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I don’t wear a watch. When I’m at work and I want to know what time it is, I glance at the lower right corner of my computer screen and oh look there’s a clock. When I’m at home and need to check the time there is a clock in the kitchen, two in the living room, one in the bedroom, one on the computer, my phone, my iPad, and my TV. In my car there is a clock. If I’m out anywhere I have my phone, or I ask someone what time it is. A watch is a pretentious piece of bling more often than a useful piece of equipment, and a $33K watch is nothing but a pretentious piece of bling. Then again, I don’t wear a gold necklace with a diamond studded dollar sign on it, either.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I wear a watch.

It’s a neckwatch. I got the idea from Flavor Flav.

I also wear a viking helmet and smoke tons of crack. But he got that idea from me.

• NYTolstoy - Nov 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I don’t have a computer in front of me at work I drive around the streets all day. also why do you have two clocks in the living room? is it so you don’t have to turn your head to see the time? Seems like you have a fetish for clocks and don’t find watches sexy.

• kalinedrive - Nov 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM

You don’t have a clock in your vehicle? Ok.

I have two clocks in the living room because one is a fairly large wall clock that was gifted to me, and which is placed in the center of the wall between the living room and dining room, and the other is an anniversary clock I have had for decades, which is right next to the TV. So yeah, I don’t have to turn my head to see the time when I’m watching TV, and yet I still have a large decorative clock for easy viewing from other locations.

Not that it matters, it’s just a personal interior decorating choice, and I don’t care if anyone wants to wear a watch. I just don’t agree that they are necessary or even very useful for most people, and I think they are most often used as jewelry accessories for people who want to show off the money they can spend on what is basically an irrelevant relic. Most people don’t need to know what time it is in less than the time it takes to use any of the other available methods.

• anxovies - Nov 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I gather you are not a survivalist.

• kalinedrive - Nov 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Why would I need to be a survivalist? Is the zombie apocalypse nigh?

7. El Bravo - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Smartwatches are the new thing, Craig. Get with it you old geezer.

• bendover09 - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Why don’t you tell that to Beyonce who just bought Jay Z a 5 million dollar watch

8. chacochicken - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM

We, as a species, are in trouble for making a watch that costs/is valued at $33,000+

9. fearthehoody - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM

The illuminat will reimburse Jay Z

• bendover09 - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

33/9. Master mason

10. righthandofjustice - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM

“No Player Agent or Applicant shall provide, cause to be provided or promise to provide, any money or any OTHER THING OF VALUE to any player…”

The meaning of VALUE is very vague. An autographed baseball is something of value. A jersey or a baseball cap is something of value. A birthday cake is something of value. A lottery ticket is something of value. Technically, even a blank piece of paper is something of value.

I am sure most players have received something OF VALUE from their agents.

Cano made $15 million from his contract in 2013. That’s $92,592 per game. Suppose a game took 3.5 hours to complete, Cano’s hourly rate would be around $26,400. The watch is VALUEd at $33,900. In other words, it’s “value” is merely about 1.28 hour of Cano’s work.

In some industries, there is a dollar limit a “gift” their employees can receive and quite often that limit is much higher than 1.28 hours of the average pay of their empolyees. So, it may be an acceptable “gift” in this case.

11. Anoesis - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Today I learned that I am a “fancy person” because I wear a wristwatch. I work in an industry where taking my smart phone out of the truck with me puts it in jeopardy of being damaged or lost.

My watch is also a valuable community service for all those who “don’t get why anyone has a watch anymore,” yet need to know the time. Seems your phone isn’t all that reliable when the battery up and dies and you need to ask me what time it is. I wear it in plain sight on my wrist so you’ll know who to ask. Don’t worry, the time of day I give you is highly accurate and will get you back to your office/car/home in time to once again be near a clock.

• nolanwiffle - Nov 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Thank you Watchman. I slept a little more soundly last night knowing that you were manning your post.

12. yankee172 - Nov 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Craig – most people wear watches. What in god’s name are you talking about?

• heat256 - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I have always worn watches. I have spent good sums of money on two Rolex watches and one Panerai watch. Even got my wife on board with it. Everyone likes what they like. I can’t fathom expensive shoes or handbags or $300 jeans, but I keep my piehole closed and remember that many people would recoil in shock when I tell them I paid $7000 for a watch.

13. racksie - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Wired that a lawyer is opposed to watches. Of course that makes it easy to overestimate billable hours…..

• anxovies - Nov 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Your post reminds me of the suit lawyer in the John Grisham novel who was bragging about billing 26 hours for the same day. He flew from New York to LA and billed according to the time zones.

14. louhudson23 - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Cano is about to learn that the extra tens of millions don’t mean a damn thing(except to those who get a percentage) when you are where you don’t want to be. The leeches(and society) convince these guys that nothing matters more than the money and it is all about respect…….Reality is that the greatest value in the money(he has already made) is that he doesn’t need the money and he can play for whoever he wants(for more boatloads of money).

15. newpairofsox - Nov 6, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I agree with tbuckfutter…All issues surrounding Mr. Z are secondary until someone explains just how in the hell he landed an angel like Beyonce. Wristwatches? Bah.

• skids003 - Nov 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM

$$$$$.

16. gibbyfan - Nov 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Craig–

After reading the commentary above, I’m just curious, are you now better informed–or leastless mystified?

17. Tick - Nov 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

99 problems and a watch is one?

18. mvd513 - Nov 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Craig is right. All you watch-wearers are weird.

19. blynch67 - Nov 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

“Kickbacks and Gratuities” Ethics training 101 at my place of work (yearly)..

Of course, my place of work is not a crack house or a Sports Agents’ office………

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto