Nov 5, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
I’m still mystified anyone wears watches anymore, but what do I know. The fancy people seem to love them. Jay-Z is fancy and he gave Robinson Cano, who is also fancy, a $33,900 watch for his birthday. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that this may have run afoul of union rules:
Section 5(B)(5)(a) of the Players Association regulations states: “No Player Agent or Applicant shall provide, cause to be provided or promise to provide, any money or any other thing of value to any player, or any person related to or associated with such player, the purpose of which is to induce or encourage such player to use or continue to use any person’s or firm’s services as a Player Agent, Representative, or Draft Advisor.” … Sources said that the Players Association has interviewed several of the principals and that Jay Z could be subject to unspecified discipline if he is found in violation.
Kind of weird given that Cano moved on to Jay-Z months ago. And weird because this is not college football. But rules are rules.
Mostly weird because of watches, though. I really don’t get why anyone has a watch anymore.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)