Nov 5, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
McClendon previously managed the Pirates from 2001-2005, compiling a 336-446 (.430) record with zero winning seasons, and has been the Tigers’ hitting coach since 2007.
Certainly plenty of managers who struggled in their first jobs have gone on to find success in later jobs, but it’s tough not to view this as a retread hire considering how much criticism McClendon received in Pittsburgh the first time around.
He’ll replace Eric Wedge, who went 213-273 (.438) in three seasons with the Mariners and left Seattle on bad terms by saying he wouldn’t have stuck around even if they gave him a five-year contract.
Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach, White Sox bench coach Joey Cora, and A’s bench coach Chip Hale were the other finalists for the job.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
And an ice cream sandwich — used for taunting purposes — was involved.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:58 AM EDT
Yet another protested game in a week full of protests. This one isn’t going anywhere, though.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
Herrera, who was acquired from the Pirates in the Marlon Byrd deal last August, was batting .340/.406/.560 with 10 homers and 48 RBI over 61 games in Double-A this season.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Outman had a 3.28 ERA and 24/16 K/BB ratio over 24 2/3 innings with the Indians this season.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Every time Alex Gordon steps to the plate at Kauffman Stadium these days, fans chant, “M-V-P, M-V-P,” which is fascinating on so many levels.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Vic Black has emerged as an effective late-inning bridge for the Mets this season, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The expectation is that Castillo will get some major league experience in September.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Gomes suffered the concussion last Thursday when he was hit in the catcher’s mask by a deflected ball.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The struggling Wright hasn’t played since leaving Sunday’s game with neck spasms.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Nolan Reimold has been claimed off waivers for the second time in a month, going from the Orioles to the Blue Jays and now to the Diamondbacks.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
This is just sad.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
It’s five o’clock. Let’s end the work day with a big bunch of arguing, ok?
Aug 28, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
There was no perfect game involved and in fact the 46 batters stretched over the course of eight appearances. Mark Buehrle held the previous record of 45 back in 2009.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
It’s not been a good week for Phillies brass.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Soria made just six appearances for the Tigers after being acquired from the Rangers in July.
Aug 28, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Not many rookies in recent MLB history have done as much running as The Fastest Man In Baseball.
Aug 28, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Umpire to Perez: “You smell good, Salvy!” I am not making that up.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
With a load of great hitting prospects and the dough to go get pitching, things may soon be looking up on the north side of Chicago
Aug 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sorry. There’s no joke there. Just a cool picture. Including Vedder with a sweet 70s-80s Tigers road uni.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Last night after the Brewers lost to the Padres in extra innings manager Ron Roenicke tore into home plate umpire Mark Ripperger, who ejected Roenicke from the game in the ninth inning.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 5
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 26
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 206
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (207)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)