Nov 5, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Castillo reports that Jhonny Peralta and Stephen Drew are the Mets’ top shortstop targets, but if both get out of their price range (or they decide not to give up a draft pick to sign Drew) then Furcal might make some sense.
Furcal missed the entire season following Tommy John surgery and at age 36 a successful comeback is far from guaranteed, especially at shortstop. He hit just .264 with five homers and a .671 OPS in 121 games for the Cardinals in 2012, undergoing the elbow surgery this spring.
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)