Nov 5, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Castillo reports that Jhonny Peralta and Stephen Drew are the Mets’ top shortstop targets, but if both get out of their price range (or they decide not to give up a draft pick to sign Drew) then Furcal might make some sense.
Furcal missed the entire season following Tommy John surgery and at age 36 a successful comeback is far from guaranteed, especially at shortstop. He hit just .264 with five homers and a .671 OPS in 121 games for the Cardinals in 2012, undergoing the elbow surgery this spring.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (354)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)