Nov 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Which leads us back at one of the sadder events of the 2014 Cubs season: the last Old Style at Wrigley Field. As I understand it, the Cubs have signed an exclusive deal of some kind with Budweiser, and there will be no more Old Style vendors with their blue plastic trays wandering the stands, no more Old Style taps (all of which seemed to be right next to various men’s rooms. . . ).
I’m not sure why it’s sad. I’ve only been to Wrigley, like, three times. Each time I had Old Style because that’s what you do, but I think I’ve two other Old Styles in my entire life because, really, Old Style is pretty unremarkable beer. Not the worst. Not the best. It’ll do. But really, it probably owes more to local nostalgia and things like that for its sales figures than most beers do.
And of course they weren’t selling it in Wrigley for free. Beer in the ballpark is a business, and if the Anheuser-Busch folks have made the Cubs a more attractive offer, that’s how it goes. You can’t get Ballantine’s at Yankee Stadium anymore. Life goes on.
What do you think, Cubs fans? More importantly: why?
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 0
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)