Nov 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Which leads us back at one of the sadder events of the 2014 Cubs season: the last Old Style at Wrigley Field. As I understand it, the Cubs have signed an exclusive deal of some kind with Budweiser, and there will be no more Old Style vendors with their blue plastic trays wandering the stands, no more Old Style taps (all of which seemed to be right next to various men’s rooms. . . ).
I’m not sure why it’s sad. I’ve only been to Wrigley, like, three times. Each time I had Old Style because that’s what you do, but I think I’ve two other Old Styles in my entire life because, really, Old Style is pretty unremarkable beer. Not the worst. Not the best. It’ll do. But really, it probably owes more to local nostalgia and things like that for its sales figures than most beers do.
And of course they weren’t selling it in Wrigley for free. Beer in the ballpark is a business, and if the Anheuser-Busch folks have made the Cubs a more attractive offer, that’s how it goes. You can’t get Ballantine’s at Yankee Stadium anymore. Life goes on.
What do you think, Cubs fans? More importantly: why?
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)