Nov 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Which leads us back at one of the sadder events of the 2014 Cubs season: the last Old Style at Wrigley Field. As I understand it, the Cubs have signed an exclusive deal of some kind with Budweiser, and there will be no more Old Style vendors with their blue plastic trays wandering the stands, no more Old Style taps (all of which seemed to be right next to various men’s rooms. . . ).
I’m not sure why it’s sad. I’ve only been to Wrigley, like, three times. Each time I had Old Style because that’s what you do, but I think I’ve two other Old Styles in my entire life because, really, Old Style is pretty unremarkable beer. Not the worst. Not the best. It’ll do. But really, it probably owes more to local nostalgia and things like that for its sales figures than most beers do.
And of course they weren’t selling it in Wrigley for free. Beer in the ballpark is a business, and if the Anheuser-Busch folks have made the Cubs a more attractive offer, that’s how it goes. You can’t get Ballantine’s at Yankee Stadium anymore. Life goes on.
What do you think, Cubs fans? More importantly: why?
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)