Nov 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Which leads us back at one of the sadder events of the 2014 Cubs season: the last Old Style at Wrigley Field. As I understand it, the Cubs have signed an exclusive deal of some kind with Budweiser, and there will be no more Old Style vendors with their blue plastic trays wandering the stands, no more Old Style taps (all of which seemed to be right next to various men’s rooms. . . ).
I’m not sure why it’s sad. I’ve only been to Wrigley, like, three times. Each time I had Old Style because that’s what you do, but I think I’ve two other Old Styles in my entire life because, really, Old Style is pretty unremarkable beer. Not the worst. Not the best. It’ll do. But really, it probably owes more to local nostalgia and things like that for its sales figures than most beers do.
And of course they weren’t selling it in Wrigley for free. Beer in the ballpark is a business, and if the Anheuser-Busch folks have made the Cubs a more attractive offer, that’s how it goes. You can’t get Ballantine’s at Yankee Stadium anymore. Life goes on.
What do you think, Cubs fans? More importantly: why?
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)