No more Old Style beer at Wrigley Field?

Nov 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

Old Style

I guess I missed this with the playoffs, but this note at Chicagosidesports.com (found via Baseball Think Factory) is a bit sad:

Which leads us back at one of the sadder events of the 2014 Cubs season: the last Old Style at Wrigley Field. As I understand it, the Cubs have signed an exclusive deal of some kind with Budweiser, and there will be no more Old Style vendors with their blue plastic trays wandering the stands, no more Old Style taps (all of which seemed to be right next to various men’s rooms. . . ).

I’m not sure why it’s sad. I’ve only been to Wrigley, like, three times. Each time I had Old Style because that’s what you do, but I think I’ve two other Old Styles in my entire life because, really, Old Style is pretty unremarkable beer. Not the worst. Not the best. It’ll do. But really, it probably owes more to local nostalgia and things like that for its sales figures than most beers do.

And of course they weren’t selling it in Wrigley for free. Beer in the ballpark is a business, and if the Anheuser-Busch folks have made the Cubs a more attractive offer, that’s how it goes. You can’t get Ballantine’s at Yankee Stadium anymore. Life goes on.

What do you think, Cubs fans? More importantly: why?

1. sjs1959 - Nov 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

The one bad thing that Harry Caray did to Cubs fans: he popularized the CARDINALS’ beer, Budweiser. Old Style is Chicago, Budweiser is St. Louis. I know, Heileman is long gone and Pabst owns Old Style now, IIRC, but Old Style is the beer to drink at Wrigley, at least until you can’t any more.

• paperlions - Nov 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Anheuser-Busch is no longer a StL-based company nor even American owned. A Brazilian-Belgian company bought it, and they have breweries throughout the US, not just in StL. Nostalgia aside, Budweiser now has no more to do with StL than it does with Chicago.

• gloccamorra - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Who cares who owns the stock? The Budweiser brewery is still in St. Louis, and the Clydesdales are there too (except when they winter in Florida).

• chumthumper - Nov 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Nothing to do with the issue at hand, just an observation, but I seem to recall that during a TV interview right after Harry was fired by the Cards, he got a subtle dig in by holding a Schlitz beer can.

2. mikeevergreen - Nov 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Perfect. Horsepee in the stands to go with bullpoop on the field. You are the Cubs.

3. kinanik - Nov 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM

My guess is that it’s the entire A-B lineup. You’ll have Bud, but they also distribute the Chicago-based Goose Island, which does pretty good beer, as well as Kona and Old Dominion. I hope the beer selection extends, at least, to Goose Island.

• wnhellyer - Nov 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I hear they’ll have Goose, but they want to have a variety for people. I think you’ll still see Corona and Heineken at the stands as well. You just wont see beer vendors in the seats with them.

4. Marty - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM

As someone who often drops a hefty chuck on the obscene and (admittedly) outright snobbish alcohol selection at AT&T Park, I always loved and respected the beer setup at Wrigley. Hopefully this is not a straight swap for Bud and Bud Light, but apparently so.

5. proudlycanadian - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM

So much for tradition! First, they added lights. Now no more Old Stale at Wrigley. What is next? Blocking the view from the rooftop seats?

• umrguy42 - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Removing the ivy.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Oh no! Not that!

• bfunk1978 - Nov 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

…and not putting anything in its place. You want to go up against the wall? You go up against the WALL.

• dink53 - Nov 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Winning?

• proudlycanadian - Nov 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Which century?

• jwbiii - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

By the way, we Chicagoans prefer the term “Old Stool.” Not in the sense of aging barroom furniture, but in the sense of decaying feces.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Thanks for the correction.

6. mophatici - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Harry Caray didn’t drink Budweiser after he and StL split ways. there’s a great pic of him downhill by a Schlitz as one last f u to the cards. as a cubs announcer he only drank old style. I personally dislike bud and pabst.

• wnhellyer - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Not true. He drank whatever the stadium he was at had. In Milwaukee he enjoyed Falstaff

• judgesmails80 - Nov 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Same goes for when he called games for the Sox at old Comisky–it was Falstaff. Still remember him nearly falling out of the announcers booth trying to catch a foul ball with his ever present net.

• umrguy42 - Nov 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Interesting, in that Falstaff was another St. Louis beer for most of its life…

Also:

• jeffbbf - Nov 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM

You couldn’t be more wrong. Must not be from Chicago – or a Cubs fan – because if you were, you would have seen the huge marketing campaing “He’s a Cubs Fan and Bud Man” featuring Harry dressed like the Blues Brothers. Or maybe his constant references to having a cold Bud on a hot day during Cubs games. He was a Budweiser shill for a long time with the Cubs. I do remember his interview after being let go by the Cards in which he was holding a can of Schlitz. But that was like, what – 1965?

7. mophatici - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

that’s right. Harry Carey used to be a cards announcer. that’s how he popularized cardinals beer.

8. 11thstreetmafia - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Now break tradition and start winning.

• fatheruburu - Nov 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

• fatheruburu - Nov 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Ok… yes.

9. wnhellyer - Nov 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Kind of old news… like this was reported the first few weeks of September old news. I like Old Style and I understand it has some tradition at Wrigley, but it is “Chicago’s beer” and not necessarily attached to the Cubs. Bars and pubs surrounding Wrigley will continue to offer Old Style, and Cubs officials have actually said they could keep it in the stadium, it just won’t be sold by vendors walking around. As far as Bud products, they plan on selling not just the Bud light and Budweiser, but other brands they own. Wrigley will likely see Landshark Lager, Shocktop, Rolling Rock, Becks, and most importantly, Goose Island, a beer company started and operated in Chicago. One that did well enough that anheuser-busch said “we would like to buy your name, give you another factory to start canning your beer and working on new recipes, and otherwise keep our hands out of the honey-pot. Keep doing what you’re doing.” In creating the new deal with the Cubs, anheuser-busch actually threw out the possibility that they (with Goose Island) could collaborate on a unique Wrigley Field beer only found in Wrigleyville or at the stadium, similar to Goose Islands Green Line that can only be found near Chicago. Yes, it is sad to see a beer like Old Style possibly go, but honestly you can grab a couple before or after the game at a bar if you really want one. I guarantee you it’ll be cheaper there than it was at Wrigley.

10. onbucky96 - Nov 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Noooooo!

11. joewilliesshnoz - Nov 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

It’s a sad day ,when the loss of traditions carry over to the home town beer selections.

12. judgesmails80 - Nov 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

No Old Style, No Peace! I ask for very few things in life. One of those is to be able to have an overpriced Old Style draft beer at Wrigley. Cubs owners better wise up, first it’s no more Old Style, then no more roof tops–oh, yeah, never mind. It’s about tradition and the EXPERIENCE of going to Wrigley–if the Cubs win that’s a bonus. Patrons will come because it’s WRIGLEY–and because it’s BEEN Wrigley the way the remember it. I just don’t want this iconic ballbark to turn into a scene from “Major League” and have advertisements covering each square inch of the Wrigley–including the ivy. Can’t wait for what’s up next –$19 beer night!

• wnhellyer - Nov 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I can understand not wanting all of the advertising. I hope they don’t litter Wrigley with it. It will be different with a LED scoreboard, but I am willing to give it a chance as well. Lights at Wrigley were shunned for years, and still are by some, but catching a night game is part of the fun. As far as the rest of the restorations, I dont know if you’ve seen the concept art, but the plan is to restore Wrigley to how it appeared pre-1945, obviously with the addition of lights, ads, etc. If they keep its charm, don’t raise beer costs, and put a good team on the field, I will be okay with any changes

13. rich7041 - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Craig, there is actually a retro-beer kiosk at Yankee Stadium where you can get some of your grandaddy’s favorites from the 50’s and 60’s. I had a Schaefer there for the first time since I was like 12 years old (Kidding!….. I was like 8.) But it was in memory of my grandfather who gave me my first taste.

14. Tim's Neighbor - Nov 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM

In high school I went camping with my cousins. Being teenagers, we thought it was a good idea to steal a cooler of beer from a fellow camper. The guy was in his 70’s, so we weren’t concerned with getting rundown if caught. The heist was completed without flaw. We sat down by the campfire to enjoy the forbidden fruits of a forbidden labor. Should have tasted somewhere near as good as the beer the fellas drank on the roof after Andy Dufrane risked his life to acquire it.

I was handed an ice-coldbeer. My heart beating quickly, I wiped the condensation from the logo: Old Style. The red and blue crest seemed fancy. We’d procured the motherload.

I cranked it open.

Listened to that sound of air escaping.

We all looked around with nervous smiles and put the beer to our lips. I took a giant gulp, letting it roll over my tongue to better enjoy it. To m surprise, my face contorted and my stomach wretched. This was the worst thing I had ever tasted. We sat around in silence for what seemed like minutes, no one braving another sip. My cousin, however, offered, “Guys, this is awful, right.” We all agreed before solemnly returning the cooler to the old man.

• gloccamorra - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I hope you all learned a lesson: never steal beer from us old geezers. Our taste buds are shot and we drink whatever is cheapest, strictly for the alcoholic content.

• fm31970 - Nov 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I can only imagine how y’all would’ve been affected had you tasted a Red, White & Blue instead.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate