Nov 5, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports provides the story:
Right-hander Randy Messenger, who has spent the last three seasons dominating Nippon Professional Baseball in Japan for the Hanshin Tigers, has set a Nov. 15 deadline to entertain offers from major league teams, said his agent, Matt Sosnick.
Messenger truly has been exceptional in Nippon Professional Baseball, boasting three straight sub-3.00 ERA seasons. He led the Central League in innings pitched this year with 196 1/3 and strikeouts with 183. The 32-year-old native of Reno, Nevada has a standing three-year contract offer to return to the Hanshin Tigers that carries $10 million in guaranteed money and another $5 million in performance-based incentives, according to Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors.
Messenger wants a guaranteed two-year contract in the $8-10 million range to return state-side.
He was an 11th-round draft pick of the Marlins back in 1999 and made a total of 173 appearances in Major League Baseball (for Miami, San Francisco and Seattle) before taking his talents over to Japan.
HardballTalk’s Matthew Pouliot ranked him 46th on the official HBT Top 150 Free Agents list.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)