Nov 5, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports provides the story:
Right-hander Randy Messenger, who has spent the last three seasons dominating Nippon Professional Baseball in Japan for the Hanshin Tigers, has set a Nov. 15 deadline to entertain offers from major league teams, said his agent, Matt Sosnick.
Messenger truly has been exceptional in Nippon Professional Baseball, boasting three straight sub-3.00 ERA seasons. He led the Central League in innings pitched this year with 196 1/3 and strikeouts with 183. The 32-year-old native of Reno, Nevada has a standing three-year contract offer to return to the Hanshin Tigers that carries $10 million in guaranteed money and another $5 million in performance-based incentives, according to Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors.
Messenger wants a guaranteed two-year contract in the $8-10 million range to return state-side.
He was an 11th-round draft pick of the Marlins back in 1999 and made a total of 173 appearances in Major League Baseball (for Miami, San Francisco and Seattle) before taking his talents over to Japan.
HardballTalk’s Matthew Pouliot ranked him 46th on the official HBT Top 150 Free Agents list.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 14
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)