Nov 5, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports provides the story:
Right-hander Randy Messenger, who has spent the last three seasons dominating Nippon Professional Baseball in Japan for the Hanshin Tigers, has set a Nov. 15 deadline to entertain offers from major league teams, said his agent, Matt Sosnick.
Messenger truly has been exceptional in Nippon Professional Baseball, boasting three straight sub-3.00 ERA seasons. He led the Central League in innings pitched this year with 196 1/3 and strikeouts with 183. The 32-year-old native of Reno, Nevada has a standing three-year contract offer to return to the Hanshin Tigers that carries $10 million in guaranteed money and another $5 million in performance-based incentives, according to Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors.
Messenger wants a guaranteed two-year contract in the $8-10 million range to return state-side.
He was an 11th-round draft pick of the Marlins back in 1999 and made a total of 173 appearances in Major League Baseball (for Miami, San Francisco and Seattle) before taking his talents over to Japan.
HardballTalk’s Matthew Pouliot ranked him 46th on the official HBT Top 150 Free Agents list.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 10
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)