Nov 5, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
Geovany Soto played sparingly behind A.J. Pierzynski for Texas this season, appearing in just 54 games, but with both catchers hitting the open market as free agents the Rangers have re-signed Soto to a one-year, $3 million deal.
That’s identical to the contract he signed with the Rangers last offseason after being non-tendered. Soto hit .245 with nine homers and a .794 OPS while playing mostly versus left-handed pitching.
Our own Matthew Pouliot ranked Soto as the 91st-best free agent available and depending on what else the Rangers do this offseason he could be in line for significantly more playing time in 2014.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 0
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 31
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 12
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 133
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (135)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)