Nov 5, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
Geovany Soto played sparingly behind A.J. Pierzynski for Texas this season, appearing in just 54 games, but with both catchers hitting the open market as free agents the Rangers have re-signed Soto to a one-year, $3 million deal.
That’s identical to the contract he signed with the Rangers last offseason after being non-tendered. Soto hit .245 with nine homers and a .794 OPS while playing mostly versus left-handed pitching.
Our own Matthew Pouliot ranked Soto as the 91st-best free agent available and depending on what else the Rangers do this offseason he could be in line for significantly more playing time in 2014.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)