Nov 5, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
Geovany Soto played sparingly behind A.J. Pierzynski for Texas this season, appearing in just 54 games, but with both catchers hitting the open market as free agents the Rangers have re-signed Soto to a one-year, $3 million deal.
That’s identical to the contract he signed with the Rangers last offseason after being non-tendered. Soto hit .245 with nine homers and a .794 OPS while playing mostly versus left-handed pitching.
Our own Matthew Pouliot ranked Soto as the 91st-best free agent available and depending on what else the Rangers do this offseason he could be in line for significantly more playing time in 2014.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39