Nov 5, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
Geovany Soto played sparingly behind A.J. Pierzynski for Texas this season, appearing in just 54 games, but with both catchers hitting the open market as free agents the Rangers have re-signed Soto to a one-year, $3 million deal.
That’s identical to the contract he signed with the Rangers last offseason after being non-tendered. Soto hit .245 with nine homers and a .794 OPS while playing mostly versus left-handed pitching.
Our own Matthew Pouliot ranked Soto as the 91st-best free agent available and depending on what else the Rangers do this offseason he could be in line for significantly more playing time in 2014.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)