Nov 5, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
Geovany Soto played sparingly behind A.J. Pierzynski for Texas this season, appearing in just 54 games, but with both catchers hitting the open market as free agents the Rangers have re-signed Soto to a one-year, $3 million deal.
That’s identical to the contract he signed with the Rangers last offseason after being non-tendered. Soto hit .245 with nine homers and a .794 OPS while playing mostly versus left-handed pitching.
Our own Matthew Pouliot ranked Soto as the 91st-best free agent available and depending on what else the Rangers do this offseason he could be in line for significantly more playing time in 2014.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)