Nov 5, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Juan Carlos Oviedo missed the entire season following Tommy John elbow surgery and the Rays have declined his $2 million option for 2014, giving the reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez a $30,000 buyout instead.
Tampa Bay signed Oviedo to a minor-league deal in January hoping he’d come back in time to potentially pitch in the second half, but he had various setbacks to rule that out.
Because of injuries and legal problems associated with his false identity Oviedo hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011, when he saved 36 games for the Marlins. He’ll latch on somewhere with a minor-league deal.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)