Nov 5, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Juan Carlos Oviedo missed the entire season following Tommy John elbow surgery and the Rays have declined his $2 million option for 2014, giving the reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez a $30,000 buyout instead.
Tampa Bay signed Oviedo to a minor-league deal in January hoping he’d come back in time to potentially pitch in the second half, but he had various setbacks to rule that out.
Because of injuries and legal problems associated with his false identity Oviedo hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011, when he saved 36 games for the Marlins. He’ll latch on somewhere with a minor-league deal.
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 0
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 8
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 51
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 94
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)