Nov 5, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Juan Carlos Oviedo missed the entire season following Tommy John elbow surgery and the Rays have declined his $2 million option for 2014, giving the reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez a $30,000 buyout instead.
Tampa Bay signed Oviedo to a minor-league deal in January hoping he’d come back in time to potentially pitch in the second half, but he had various setbacks to rule that out.
Because of injuries and legal problems associated with his false identity Oviedo hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011, when he saved 36 games for the Marlins. He’ll latch on somewhere with a minor-league deal.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)