Nov 5, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Juan Carlos Oviedo missed the entire season following Tommy John elbow surgery and the Rays have declined his $2 million option for 2014, giving the reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez a $30,000 buyout instead.
Tampa Bay signed Oviedo to a minor-league deal in January hoping he’d come back in time to potentially pitch in the second half, but he had various setbacks to rule that out.
Because of injuries and legal problems associated with his false identity Oviedo hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011, when he saved 36 games for the Marlins. He’ll latch on somewhere with a minor-league deal.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)