Nov 5, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Juan Carlos Oviedo missed the entire season following Tommy John elbow surgery and the Rays have declined his $2 million option for 2014, giving the reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez a $30,000 buyout instead.
Tampa Bay signed Oviedo to a minor-league deal in January hoping he’d come back in time to potentially pitch in the second half, but he had various setbacks to rule that out.
Because of injuries and legal problems associated with his false identity Oviedo hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011, when he saved 36 games for the Marlins. He’ll latch on somewhere with a minor-league deal.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)