Nov 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
From beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star …
Hosmer says no talks w/#Royals on long-term deal: “I’m locked in for another 4 years, and we have guys whose contracts expire before mine.”
— Bob Dutton (@Royals_Report) November 5, 2013
That’s a pretty mature — and certainly team-first — attitude from the 24-year-old first baseman.
Hosmer qualified for Super Two status with his 2.146 years of service time, so he’ll be eligible for salary arbitration this winter and for the next three winters to come. The former No. 3 overall pick hit .302/.353/.448 with 17 home runs and 79 RBI in 159 games this year and .323/.379/.473 after the All-Star break.
Be on the lookout for a true breakout season from the prized Scott Boras client in 2014.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 0
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)