Nov 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
From beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star …
Hosmer says no talks w/#Royals on long-term deal: “I’m locked in for another 4 years, and we have guys whose contracts expire before mine.”
— Bob Dutton (@Royals_Report) November 5, 2013
That’s a pretty mature — and certainly team-first — attitude from the 24-year-old first baseman.
Hosmer qualified for Super Two status with his 2.146 years of service time, so he’ll be eligible for salary arbitration this winter and for the next three winters to come. The former No. 3 overall pick hit .302/.353/.448 with 17 home runs and 79 RBI in 159 games this year and .323/.379/.473 after the All-Star break.
Be on the lookout for a true breakout season from the prized Scott Boras client in 2014.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)