Nov 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
From beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star …
Hosmer says no talks w/#Royals on long-term deal: “I’m locked in for another 4 years, and we have guys whose contracts expire before mine.”
— Bob Dutton (@Royals_Report) November 5, 2013
That’s a pretty mature — and certainly team-first — attitude from the 24-year-old first baseman.
Hosmer qualified for Super Two status with his 2.146 years of service time, so he’ll be eligible for salary arbitration this winter and for the next three winters to come. The former No. 3 overall pick hit .302/.353/.448 with 17 home runs and 79 RBI in 159 games this year and .323/.379/.473 after the All-Star break.
Be on the lookout for a true breakout season from the prized Scott Boras client in 2014.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)