Nov 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
From beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star …
Hosmer says no talks w/#Royals on long-term deal: “I’m locked in for another 4 years, and we have guys whose contracts expire before mine.”
— Bob Dutton (@Royals_Report) November 5, 2013
That’s a pretty mature — and certainly team-first — attitude from the 24-year-old first baseman.
Hosmer qualified for Super Two status with his 2.146 years of service time, so he’ll be eligible for salary arbitration this winter and for the next three winters to come. The former No. 3 overall pick hit .302/.353/.448 with 17 home runs and 79 RBI in 159 games this year and .323/.379/.473 after the All-Star break.
Be on the lookout for a true breakout season from the prized Scott Boras client in 2014.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)