Nov 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
From beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star …
Hosmer says no talks w/#Royals on long-term deal: “I’m locked in for another 4 years, and we have guys whose contracts expire before mine.”
— Bob Dutton (@Royals_Report) November 5, 2013
That’s a pretty mature — and certainly team-first — attitude from the 24-year-old first baseman.
Hosmer qualified for Super Two status with his 2.146 years of service time, so he’ll be eligible for salary arbitration this winter and for the next three winters to come. The former No. 3 overall pick hit .302/.353/.448 with 17 home runs and 79 RBI in 159 games this year and .323/.379/.473 after the All-Star break.
Be on the lookout for a true breakout season from the prized Scott Boras client in 2014.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 15
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 18
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)