Nov 5, 2013, 8:37 AM EDT
As he was accepting the World Series MVP Award last week David Ortiz said he’d like to thank “the best fans in baseball.” I’d like to believe he was taking a jab at the idea that Cardinals fans fit that description. I considered it a “shots fired” moment, mostly because I’m usually looking for trouble.
If that was his intent, however, it’s not shared by the Red Sox organization. Indeed, they did something pretty respectable today: they took out a full-age ad in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch to give a shoutout to their worthy World Series adversary and their fans. Who the Sox give co-best-fans props to:
Red Sox take out full page, color ad in Stl Post thanking Cards, fans. Thoughts? pic.twitter.com/cB1StywcJ1
— Pat McGonigle KSDK (@PatMcGonigleNBC) November 5, 2013
Maybe you think this is nice. If so, you’re not fully appreciating the implications of two spoiled and entitled fan bases joining forces in a Voltron-of-Smug. Really, if this allegiance has any wheels, we’re all doomed.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 41
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)