Nov 6, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
Another day without actual arbitration proceedings, another day with lawyers in the A-Rod case finding a camera and going off. This from Lanny Davis, lawyer to A-Rod and former lawyer to Bill Clinton. So he knows from media attention:
“I repeat my request that U.S. authorities should initiate an investigation as to whether any federal crimes have been committed by MLB investigators as well as those in the Commissioner’s office who may have been complicit in this misconduct — for example, in the purchase of stolen documents; or whether MLB filed information with the IRS that federal law requires for this type of a commercial transaction involving $125,000 in cash.”
That’d be the $125,000 paid for documents — or whatever it paid for — from Biogenesis. That were stolen, by the way, but never you mind.
Indeed, it’s hard to look at everything Major League Baseball has done — or, at the very least, is accused of doing — in the course of the A-Rod investigation and not believe that it’s, at best, acted a bit shady. I mean, buying stolen documents for $125,000 is not exactly your typical employment discipline scenario.
That said: fat chance of anything coming of this.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (121)