Nov 6, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Volstad is a former top prospect and first-round pick who once looked like a promising young pitcher, making a very impressive debut for the Marlins as a 21-year-old in 2008, but he has a 5.22 ERA in 619 innings since then and spent most of the past two seasons at Triple-A not doing particularly well.
He’s still just 27 years old, but the Angels will obviously be in bad shape if he secures an Opening Day job next spring.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)