Nov 6, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Volstad is a former top prospect and first-round pick who once looked like a promising young pitcher, making a very impressive debut for the Marlins as a 21-year-old in 2008, but he has a 5.22 ERA in 619 innings since then and spent most of the past two seasons at Triple-A not doing particularly well.
He’s still just 27 years old, but the Angels will obviously be in bad shape if he secures an Opening Day job next spring.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)