Nov 6, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Volstad is a former top prospect and first-round pick who once looked like a promising young pitcher, making a very impressive debut for the Marlins as a 21-year-old in 2008, but he has a 5.22 ERA in 619 innings since then and spent most of the past two seasons at Triple-A not doing particularly well.
He’s still just 27 years old, but the Angels will obviously be in bad shape if he secures an Opening Day job next spring.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)