Nov 6, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Volstad is a former top prospect and first-round pick who once looked like a promising young pitcher, making a very impressive debut for the Marlins as a 21-year-old in 2008, but he has a 5.22 ERA in 619 innings since then and spent most of the past two seasons at Triple-A not doing particularly well.
He’s still just 27 years old, but the Angels will obviously be in bad shape if he secures an Opening Day job next spring.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 3
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 152
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)