Anna Benson pleads guilty to aggravated assault, possession of a firearm in her attack on Kris Benson
Nov 6, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Remember back in July when Anna Benson, the estranged-and-soon-to-be-ex-wife of former MLB pitcher Kris Benson burst into his house with a gun, a knife, a metal baton and a bullet-proof vest, smashed a computer and demanded $30,000? If you don’t, well, where are your priorities?
Anyway, she pleaded guilty to that today. Or at least two charges that arose out of that: aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. In exchange for the plea, she’s not going to do any more jail time than the four months she’s been under lock and key since the crime. She’s getting 15 years probation.
It’s hard to deny that part of that is because Anna Benson is simply not well. The court acknowledged that in its sentence, the court has ordered into a psychiatric and substance abuse program, where she will be confined on an inpatient basis for as many as 90 days. She will not be permitted to contact her family during that time.
She’s lucky she’s getting help. She’s also lucky she didn’t get a ton of jail time.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)