Anna Benson pleads guilty to aggravated assault, possession of a firearm in her attack on Kris Benson
Nov 6, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
Remember back in July when Anna Benson, the estranged-and-soon-to-be-ex-wife of former MLB pitcher Kris Benson burst into his house with a gun, a knife, a metal baton and a bullet-proof vest, smashed a computer and demanded $30,000? If you don’t, well, where are your priorities?
Anyway, she pleaded guilty to that today. Or at least two charges that arose out of that: aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. In exchange for the plea, she’s not going to do any more jail time than the four months she’s been under lock and key since the crime. She’s getting 15 years probation.
It’s hard to deny that part of that is because Anna Benson is simply not well. The court acknowledged that in its sentence, the court has ordered into a psychiatric and substance abuse program, where she will be confined on an inpatient basis for as many as 90 days. She will not be permitted to contact her family during that time.
She’s lucky she’s getting help. She’s also lucky she didn’t get a ton of jail time.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (125)