Reckless driving charges against Yasiel Puig dismissed

Nov 6, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Dodgers - Game Three Getty Images

Back in April, you may recall, Yasiel Puig was arrested for reckless driving when he was pulled over after doing 97 m.p.h. in a 50 m.p.h. zone at 1AM. Those charges have been dropped, reports the Chattanoogan newspaper:

Judge David Bales presided over the case. After reading the charges, he read a letter written by the Dodgers’ Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Lon Rosen on Puig’s behalf. The letter detailed Puig’s involvement in the Los Angeles community and called him “an asset.” Rosen said that Puig was active in several charity organizations that worked with underprivileged youth in the area. The letter also said that Puig had attended charity fundraisers for an orphanage in Zambia.

The prosecutor recommended the charge be dropped and the judge took pains to say that Puig was not treated any differently than an otherwise good person without a criminal record is treated in such a case.

Of course, I presume Scott Miller and Bill Plaschke will write columns now saying how he should’ve been given six months of hard labor in order to tame this wild beast or somesuch.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I have a hard time believing these charges would be dropped for anyone else. If nothing else, most judges would give probation, thus ensuring the revenue stream from the ticket still enters into the system. 97 in a 50 is a pretty serious charge, and could very easily have resulted in significant injury or death of another person.

• bendover09 - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Deferred judification. I disagree. Yes, puig was helped but being from a small town where everyone knows everybody people get off easy on this charge all the time on the highway. Going 35 over speed limit is classified as a Felony which is Wreckless Driving of a Deadly weapon . The court will not hold up “what-ifs” something may happened

• yahmule - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I think wreckless driving is something we should all aspire to every time we get behind the wheel.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM

It is in Los Angeles.

• skids003 - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Hey, he’s in LA now. Look at Lindsey Lohan. They don’t send big shots to the slammer out there, in fact, didn’t they just release a bunch of criminals back out into the streets?

• teambringitstrong - Nov 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Stop breathing and get your facts together.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Right wingNUTS don’t need no stinkin’ facts.

• skids003 - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Maybe we don’t need facts when we have people like you that make up their own facts.

2. historiophiliac - Nov 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM

It’s good to be Puig.

3. pilonflats - Nov 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

this is flat out wrong

• beelza - Nov 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM

He drives like he throws … look the fuq! out.

4. mick2014 - Nov 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Looks like an obvious payout by the Dodgers to the Judge to drop the charges.

• Old Gator - Nov 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

And what is a judge but a lawyer who kissed all the right asses?

5. asimonetti88 - Nov 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I thought they only charged you if you were going over 100 MPH?

• jimeejohnson - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM

No wonder you didn’t want that T-Bird.

6. stoutfiles - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Rich people get to do whatever they want, as long as they pay their taxes.

7. 13arod - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

u guys do know that he was doing charity work so that is why thw charges were dropped

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I don’t see how the two are related. As far as I am aware, there are exactly zero charities that require one to break the law. The only thing that matters here is did he break the law? Yes. Was it a significant violation? Yes. Judiciary discretion should be reserved for throwing out cases where a person was driving 2mph over the speeding limit, or was speeding because they were transporting a dying person to the hospital, or fleeing from an assailant threatening their life. Not for a celebrity athlete who can’t be bothered to read the speed limit on a street sign.

• asimonetti88 - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM

No, they were dropped because he’s famous.

8. chacochicken - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I’ve gotten out of a similar circumstance simply because the citing officer didn’t appear in court. Nothing to see here.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

That is a different story. That is a case where the state failed to provide evidence to support the charge against the citizen. This is a case where a person who doesn’t even claim to be innocent is let go “because he’s a good person.” Well I’m a good person. Where’s my free pass? Oh right, I don’t get one. I will never forget the yelling I got from a judge once because I was doing 9 mph over the limit on a off-ramp getting off a major highway. (By the way, that was my first speeding violation.)

• chacochicken - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM

My brother escaped multiple charges very recently simply because he had entered rehab and done charity work or his own volition. In your case the judge treated you poorly. Almost all of these instances are at judicial discretion. Of course I am not going to pretend that wealthy, celebrity or similar don’t receive preferential treatment but this one is pretty weak.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

The rehab thing at least I understand. At least at that point it’s a “Hey I acknowledge that my actions were unacceptable and this incident has driven me to live a better life and to correct an obvious problem.” There is a certain cause/effect going on there that shows humility and regret.

From what I’ve taken from this article, the community service and speeding charge seem to be completely unrelated, and it’s more of a “He’s a good person so he should be allowed to do what he wants.” Just seems wrong.

9. kingscourt25 - Nov 6, 2013 at 4:39 PM

some idiot on twitter:

James @halladaysbiceps
    @craigcalcaterra If Puig was sober and driving 97 MPH, it’s speaks VOLUMES about this guy. If he was drunk, he would have an excuse

• cur68 - Nov 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Ah, we know this idiot. Tsk. Still thinks being drunk excuses bad behaviour, eh? Its like the sun rising in the east: you can depend upon certain things.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Reminds me of a certain Toronto Mayor…

• indaburg - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Halladaysbicepts (sic) remains incapable of logical thought.

10. Old Gator - Nov 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM

So much for the reckless driving.

Now, what about the baserunning charges?

11. psunick - Nov 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM

“Not treated any differently than a similar person with a clean record”?

That’s bogus, Craig, and you know it is.

• drewsylvania - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM

He’s quoting the judge; it’s not Craig’s opinion.

12. Stiller43 - Nov 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

So i can get a dui then say “nah its cool, i donate my time at a soup kitchen”

• jimeejohnson - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM

You can’t. I can’t. Puig can.

13. yahmule - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I was pulled over three consecutive times and let go with warnings. I can be calmly persuasive when I’m not being a dick.

• bbk1000 - Nov 7, 2013 at 5:46 AM

hahahaha, this is great…

14. drewsylvania - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Microcosm of America.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Where money talks and sh+t walks.

• drewsylvania - Nov 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Ain’t all of us. But definitely the f**ks who control the laws.

Final take away from World Series