Nov 6, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
To be clear: it’s not a rumor or even a news nugget. It’s really just a “what-if/could be.” But (a) Rosenthal is up front about that; and (b) he isn’t one to be silly and irresponsible, so it’s not like it isn’t at least plausible. More to the point, though, it brings up a legitimate subject: what should the Tigers do with Max Scherzer, who hits free agency after the 2014 season.
If I’m the Tigers: I put him in my rotation for 2014 and enjoy 30+ wonderful starts from him, all the while working quietly on an extension. That’s because if I’m the Tigers I still make a lot of dough even with my high payroll, what with a full park every day and an infusion of new national TV money.
But Mike Ilitch (and his heirs) may not wish to have that payroll spiral ever-higher. Because, after all, you have all kinds of obligations and not necessarily a ton of flexibility. And if you’re going to look for some savings, forging an extension to Scherzer may be the easiest place to do it. You still have Verlander and Sanchez on long term deals. You have Drew Smyly ready to make the leap to the rotation. You have Miguel Cabrera, whose contract ends in 2015, and if he’s still killing baseballs through next year, you’re gonna want to extend him.
The Tigers aren’t the Rays, so they don’t have some obvious imperative to trade an ace nearing their walk year. But they should — and probably are — at least considering it.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 56
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)