Cubs officially announce Rick Renteria as their new manager

Nov 7, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT

UPDATE: It’s official:

Wednesday, 6:53 PM: After seven years managing in the minors and six more coaching in the majors, Rick Renteria has hit the big time. The Cubs will name him their new manager on Thursday, CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman and others are reporting.

Renteria played parts of five seasons in the majors as a light-hitting infielder from 1986-1994. His only season with more than 100 plate appearances was 1993, when he played in 103 games for the expansion Marlins franchise and hit .255/.314/.326 in 263 at-bats. He started out managing in the Marlins system in 1998 and he joined the Padres organization in 2003, working his way up from A-ball hitting coach to Triple-A manager to major league bench coach.

Renteria, who was with the Padres as a bench coach when current Cubs GM Jed Hoyer worked in San Diego, recently got Jake Peavy‘s endorsement for the job.

“He’ll make an outstanding manager if the Cubs do go that way,” Peavy told CSNChicago.com’s Dan Hayes. “He brings a lot of intangibles. He knows the game, is gonna work hard, gonna get after it. He just holds guys accountable, but at the same time has a great relationship with the players. He gets the best out of guys and I’m pulling for him to get that job.”

1. lingerie00yardsale - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Nice to see a new face getting a shot in MLB.
    When will Wotus get his chance?

• maryjnalleymaryjnalley - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Its a spam free tool for making good earning…copy that link and paste on address bar,
      click home site then tab for detail▂▃▅▆▇▉▊ f­u­­s­e­u­r­l.Ⅽ­­O­Ⅿ­/1ve8

2. tfbuckfutter - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Hope he knows how to manage weak-hitting players at power positions.

• drone501 - Nov 8, 2013 at 7:33 AM

i think its a great move. a knowledgable baseball man.

3. pastabelly - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM

An endorsement from Duck Boat Peavy is gold.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

You definitely want a manager who is going to “get after it”.

• chacochicken - Nov 7, 2013 at 1:37 PM

By my estimation he’s going to be worth about 4.3 GAI next season.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

IAFP

Its Acquired Following Pursuit

4. dickclydesdale - Nov 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM

RR earned his job the old fashioned way by putting in 7 years of managing in the minors and another 6 coaching in the majors. Guys like Don Mattingly & Brad Ausmus are handed jobs that they do not deserve. Very Happy for RR! He is going to kick these young guys in the rear end and make them work hard to maximize their potential.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Um….

Dale Sveum did it the “old fashioned way” too.

How’d that work out?

• pastabelly - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

You have no idea how qualified Bard Ausmus to be a major league manager.

• pastabelly - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

You have no idea how qualified Bard Ausmus to be a major league manager.

This article pretty much covers why Ausmus got the job. It doesn’t mean it will work out, but you can tell why he moved to the front of the class. An 18-year career as a catcher also doesn’t hurt. As a Red Sox fan, my preference would have been for the Tigers to hire Renteria and the Cubs to get Ausmus. http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/3/5060876/brad-ausmus-profile-tigers-manager

5. hpfreddy - Nov 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Another sacrificial lamb.

6. stew48 - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Cub fan here, from 1943. I think I’ll wait and see the results. As always, Cub fans will support the Cubs.

7. smunsen66 - Nov 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Again the Cubs go with a unproven manager for the millionth time. While I am sure Renteria is a great guy but not having any experience managing a MLB team is going to be heartbreaking again. Dont understand why they didnt sign Ryne Sanberg. If anything it would have been sentimental choice and in Chicago that goes a long way. I was born and raised in Chicago and when I was a kid I used to clean up after the games to get bleacher tickets for the next home game during the summer and I was hoping before I die that the Cubs would come around and just man up and get the good players and coaching staff for a change and perhaps win at least a National League Title if not a World Series. We always muck it up and get has beens past thier prime ( Soriano ) what a bust. I am looking forward to another dispointing season even before the season starts. I pray I am wrong!!

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Because….Sandberg is “proven”? Having, you know, never managed in the majors and having coached at the MLB level for one whole year.

You may remember that recent World Series thing, in which one team was managed by a guy with no experience above little league when he was hired two years ago…that team came within a game of going to the WS in his first year and within 2 games of winning it in his second….and the other team was managed by a guy with 2 whole years of managerial experience with zero winning seasons under his belt.

8. xdj511 - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Wow… can’t believe a high profile team like the Cubs are going to hire journeyman player-turned longtime coach with no previous big league managing experience. The world has indeed gone mad, or at least mildly pissed off.

9. adjwar - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I thought the cubs were dumping old style.

10. phillysports1 - Nov 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM

From a phillies fan , I always play my franchise mode on mlb the show with the cubs . I’ll get you your first World Series lol

11. paulhargis53 - Nov 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

You’re attempt at humor would be much funnier if the Cubs hadn’t actually won a couple of World Series as a franchise.

Lol.

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM

A comparable argument would be that dinosaurs were more successful than humans because they were around for millions of years longer. That would be a great argument except for…DUCK!

12. jason1214 - Nov 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Enough with Sandberg…he isn’t going to manage Cubs. Move in. Secondly…everyone is unproven on their first gig.

13. phillysports1 - Nov 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM

@paulhargis53

I’m referring to renteria, as getting him his first World Series as a manager in his first season on mlb the show .

LOL

14. paulhargis53 - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Um, no you weren’t. You specifically said you play as the cubs, no mention of the manager at all. Nice try covering your ass, but you had no clue about the history of the game.

lol.

I’m arguing with a turd that plays a full video game season of baseball….uff.

15. phillysports1 - Nov 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I don’t play a full season video game weirdo . I know the history of the game . I’ve been watching baseball for a very long time buddy . I knew Cubs won a World Series before. When I play with them in the game I act as n they’ve never won before cause it’s been so long Lol . Stop wasting your time commenting dude lmao

16. sbmcintosh36 - Nov 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

So the 8 years coaching weren’t enough for Mattingly to get “handed”a managerial job huh?
    Another uninformed comment , go watch some more worldwide leader I’m sure you’ll learn more about sports there.

17. paulhargis53 - Nov 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I don’t expect much out of Philly fans, but you’re out and out blatantly lying about your original posting. it right there in black and white for all to read, “dude”.

Ugh. Just admit you f***ed up and move along. You’ll look much smarter that way.

18. phillysports1 - Nov 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Na I think you misunderstood . Seems like your real angry . Lol get a life Paul

19. yaboyjake - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Paulhargis-

You knew what the kid was trying to say from the beginning. Stop making a big deal out of nothing.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2977)