Jay-Z vs. Scott Boras

Nov 7, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT

jay-z getty Getty Images

Jay-Z took Scott Boras’ big client away. And then dissed him on his album. But does he really have what it takes to make a real dent in the Boras Empire?

Well, that’s kind of a loaded question. And one which obscures the fact that, in reality, Jay-Z is not sitting down at a table to baseball general managers. There are people affiliated with his budding sports agency who are more experienced and proficient with all of that. Pitting Jay-Z himself against Scott Boras himself is a fun narrative, but one which ignores that each of them sit atop large operations employing a lot of professional folks who know what the heck they’re doing.

Which sort of explains why Boras himself, while offering a few jabs at Jay-Z in Jerry Crasnick’s excellent article about all of this, seems pretty zen about it all. Or as zen as he can pull off. He’s been working on his agency for 30 years and, whatever else you can say about Boras, “work” is the key word there. He hasn’t rested on his laurels or reputation. And while the Robinson Canos of the world may be sexy, Boras’ reputation and excellence is built just as much on how he handles the guys further down the marquee, in lesser cities than New York.

Not that Jay-Z is going to fail. Like I said: choosing between him and Boras is a false dichotomy borne of drama, not of baseball business reality. Ultimately, there’s enough room for more than one super agent in baseball. But it will be interesting to see how Jay-Z’s outfit does beyond the one big name he’s signed so far.

Anyway: It’s a good read and you should go check it out.

1. jm91rs - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Jay-Z once stabbed a man in the stomach so I’m picking him in a fight.

2. tigers182 - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Poor Boras now won’t be able to afford gifts for his children this Christmas.

3. happytwinsfan - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM

ingenious fools wanted?

4. pisano - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM

They’re both glorified used car salesman, so take your pick.

5. chacochicken - Nov 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I once watched Scott Boras eat eleven lobster tails at a single sitting.

6. flosox - Nov 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

But can Boras rap…that’s the key question!

7. chill1184 - Nov 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Throw them in Thunderdome and see what happens

8. Tim's Neighbor - Nov 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Jay-Z probably has more legal knowledge as demonstrated in that one song where he get sassy with the 5-0.

• jwbiii - Nov 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I’d bet on the guy who practiced law, but to each his own.

• Tim's Neighbor - Nov 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Oh man. I really can’t believe anyone took that remotely seriously.

9. fearthehoody - Nov 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Oh yes Jay Z is so hardcore!! Lusten to ether by Nas and you’ll hear the truth abiut Jay Z

10. billybawl - Nov 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I think the common narrative makes it seem like Boras is working out of the trunk of his car. His corporation includes a state of the art training facility, trainers, a marketing company, many other services and dozens if not hundreds of employees — trainers, psychologists, attorneys, and ex MLBers — all focused 100% on baseball. I think where he is vulnerable to losing clients to the competition is where a player is impressed by an agent who ingratiates himself as a “friend” (which Boras has said is a poor reason to choose an agent).

So Boras may lose out on a few clients who are impressed by celebrities, but I think he’ll continue to be just fine.

11. NYTolstoy - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

LMFAO. I have never used that here on this website but damn it man. Are we really comparing the man who went to law school learned the stats and is feared by all gms, and has out done signing after signing. The freaken guy who got prince 200 plus million! while we mocked him thinking he lost his touch? Jay Z wants to jump into this buisness because he’s rich, bored, and thinks he’s really as smart as the idiots who follow him tell him so. Let’s remember boras has training facility’s scouts analysts books upon books on every agent he signs. Jay Z has as he says drug sale experience which to him obviously means great agent to be. God I never thought I would defend boras I dispise the man but come on This is a joke of a title. Time to go shower off the dirt

• wfs266 - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Sorry but I have to agree. Its obvious he’s targeting those looking for the hip hop life style and his name to go with it. I guess when when you start talking 100 million plus what’s a few bucks commission.

12. phatnate - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

win some lose some. just media try’n to start stump’n.

13. bigharold - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:55 AM

“..each of them sit atop large operations employing a lot of professional folks who know what the heck they’re doing.”

Perhaps but only one of them actually has a track record. Maybe in the end Jay Z’ group has the ability, .. maybe not. But, if one is someone like Robinson Cano, .. or Robinson Cano himself, .. wants their one and only shot at a BIG MONEY FA contract I think the guy with the track record is the best choice.

But what the hell do I know, .. I’m bogging on a baseball site, in the early AM in November.

14. tominma - Nov 8, 2013 at 6:31 AM

When I first heard that JayZ was becoming a sports agent, I really laughed my ass off and asked ” What he hell does JayZ know about being a sports agent??” I really haven’t seen an answer that makes ANY sense! To each his own I guess but it sounds a lot like Michael Corleone trying to make his family legit!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3530)