Nov 7, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
Jesus Montero has only ever caught and played DH. But now he’s in the Venezuelan Winter League and he’s playing a ton of first base, reports MLB.com.
It’s probably good that he’s learning a new skill. After a rookie year in which he did sorta alright, he hit a mere .208/.264/.327 with three homers in 101 at-bats, got demoted and then got suspended for PEDs. The Mariners have probably given up on him. Still, he’s young and since he once showed a lot of promise he’ll get more chances in the game. Better that he have as many tools in the toolbox as possible if he wants to take advantage of them.
He’s hitting down in Venezuela too. Maybe his disaster of 2013 was a wakeup call for him.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (74)