Nov 7, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
The broadcasting business has changed a ton in recent years. And it will change a ton in the near future. Change is pretty much the only constant, so looking back to some past time and saying that things should be like they were is silly and pointless. Still: there’s going to be some emotions and nostalgia when the Cubs, as it appears likely, cease to appear on WGN in the near future:
The Chicago Cubs have exercised an option to get out of their broadcast contract with WGN-TV after the 2014 season, sources said Wednesday. The team notified the Tribune Co.-owned station on Tuesday it had 30 days to agree to substantially higher fees for the 2015 season and beyond, or the broadcast rights would be opened up for negotiation with other media, according to a source close to the situation.
The Tribune article talks about all of the money and angles in play. WGN could still be a player. Or not. But the days when WGN and the Cubs went hand-in-hand are probably over. Really, since the Cubs have split time with WGN and Comcast for the past several years, they likely were over already.
The same story played out with the Braves and TBS. Which, very much like the Cubs and WGN, made fans of people who lived nowhere near the team they came to love. Now, thanks to technology, geography doesn’t keep someone from following a team they used to love back home. And weird national followings like those experienced by the Cubs and the Braves are a thing of the past too.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)