Nov 7, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
Just a couple of weeks ago Don Mattingly and Ned Colletti were doing this:
Now they’re talking, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles, and a multi-year deal could be in the offing:
The Los Angeles Dodgers are discussing a new, multiyear contract with manager Don Mattingly, two sources told ESPNLosAngeles.com. No deal is imminent, but there is optimism on both sides that a new deal will be completed.
Previously it was announced that Mattingly would be back for his option year in 2014, but now it seems that he will not be a lame duck when he does.
Which makes sense. As I’ve said before, Mattingly is a great fit in L.A. and had an excellent 2013 season. Not just in terms of results but in terms of meshing a lot of difficult personalities, dealing with that early-season hole the Dodgers dug for themselves and handling the media scrutiny that comes with the job. And when you remember that, when he first got the job, he had a lot of issues with the simple of mechanics of managing, you realize how long a way he’s come.
Major League Baseball is not football or basketball. You can rarely hire a big-name famous guy to run your team and expect it to pay any kind of dividends. The Dodgers are doing the right thing by sticking with Mattingly.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)