Nov 7, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The Phillies were thought to have lumbered into the 21st century when they hired Scott Freedman, a statistical analyst the other day. Turns out that they didn’t hire him. They’re just renting him for a bit. Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News reports:
Freedman, however, is not a Phillies employee, assistant general manager Scott Proefrock said.
“He’s joined us through the commissioner’s office,” said Proefrock referring to the arrangement as an “externship.” “He’s here for a period of time,” Proefrock continued. “We were contacted by [the commissioner's office] this summer. They proposed the arrangement, we had a need and took advantage of it. He’s a bright guy. It might become something more than [the current role].”
We are in an age where every other organization is deploying a team of analysts. Where there are extreme limits being placed on how much money one can spend on amateur talent. Where the difference between winning the World Series or not may depend on the finest distinctions between otherwise similar mid-level free agents. In short, the business of player development and talent identification is harder, more competitive and more critical than it’s ever been.
Against that backdrop, one guy full time wouldn’t be enough as it is. One temp, loaned out from the league office, is a joke.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)