Nov 7, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The Phillies were thought to have lumbered into the 21st century when they hired Scott Freedman, a statistical analyst the other day. Turns out that they didn’t hire him. They’re just renting him for a bit. Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News reports:
Freedman, however, is not a Phillies employee, assistant general manager Scott Proefrock said.
“He’s joined us through the commissioner’s office,” said Proefrock referring to the arrangement as an “externship.” “He’s here for a period of time,” Proefrock continued. “We were contacted by [the commissioner’s office] this summer. They proposed the arrangement, we had a need and took advantage of it. He’s a bright guy. It might become something more than [the current role].”
We are in an age where every other organization is deploying a team of analysts. Where there are extreme limits being placed on how much money one can spend on amateur talent. Where the difference between winning the World Series or not may depend on the finest distinctions between otherwise similar mid-level free agents. In short, the business of player development and talent identification is harder, more competitive and more critical than it’s ever been.
Against that backdrop, one guy full time wouldn’t be enough as it is. One temp, loaned out from the league office, is a joke.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 96
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 71
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 44
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (96)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)