Nov 8, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
This has been floating around for a couple of days, apparently, but I just saw it: it’s a (warning: profane) video of George Brett cussing out a guy while signing an autograph for him.
As far as can be told of backstory, though, it’s hard to take issue with Brett’s anger, even if he probably would’ve done better keeping it to himself. Seems that this guy has approached Brett on numerous occasions — over 30 times, actually — for autographs. Which means he is almost certainly selling them. And, while everyone has to make a living, the grown men who creep athletes in order sell autographs are a special brand of icky. Evidence: this guy was clearly filming the encounter on the sly, likely expecting Brett to go off on him eventually. If you know you’re aggravating someone like that and continue to do it, you probably need to take a good look in the mirror.
Brett, from what I have heard, has always been good about signing for kids or obvious fans. And while the threats and profanity aren’t exactly a great look on him here, the fact that he lost his temper is pretty understandable.
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 0
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 13
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)