Nov 8, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
This has been floating around for a couple of days, apparently, but I just saw it: it’s a (warning: profane) video of George Brett cussing out a guy while signing an autograph for him.
As far as can be told of backstory, though, it’s hard to take issue with Brett’s anger, even if he probably would’ve done better keeping it to himself. Seems that this guy has approached Brett on numerous occasions — over 30 times, actually — for autographs. Which means he is almost certainly selling them. And, while everyone has to make a living, the grown men who creep athletes in order sell autographs are a special brand of icky. Evidence: this guy was clearly filming the encounter on the sly, likely expecting Brett to go off on him eventually. If you know you’re aggravating someone like that and continue to do it, you probably need to take a good look in the mirror.
Brett, from what I have heard, has always been good about signing for kids or obvious fans. And while the threats and profanity aren’t exactly a great look on him here, the fact that he lost his temper is pretty understandable.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 70
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)