George Brett loses his temper with a habitual autograph seeker

Nov 8, 2013, 12:14 PM EST

2011 Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Getty Images

This has been floating around for a couple of days, apparently, but I just saw it: it’s a (warning: profane) video of George Brett cussing out a guy while signing an autograph for him.

As far as can be told of backstory, though, it’s hard to take issue with Brett’s anger, even if he probably would’ve done better keeping it to himself. Seems that this guy has approached Brett on numerous occasions — over 30 times, actually — for autographs. Which means he is almost certainly selling them. And, while everyone has to make a living, the grown men who creep athletes in order sell autographs are a special brand of icky. Evidence: this guy was clearly filming the encounter on the sly, likely expecting Brett to go off on him eventually. If you know you’re aggravating someone like that and continue to do it, you probably need to take a good look in the mirror.

Brett, from what I have heard, has always been good about signing for kids or obvious fans. And while the threats and profanity aren’t exactly a great look on him here, the fact that he lost his temper is pretty understandable.

1. stabonerichard - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Better that he lost control of his temper for a moment than his bowels.

• mreezybreezy - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Double tapered

• wendell7 - Nov 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Why didn’t Brett just not sign for the guy? He could semi-politely say, “I’ve signed dozens of thing for you already. No more.” Then just continue on by him.

2. tigers182 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Anyone over the age of 12 that asks for an autograph from someone who’s not making a scheduled appearance to sign autographs, deserves to be cussed out. Leave them alone and go get a life.

• 18thstreet - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Also, they should lose their right to vote. Scum of the earth.

(40 percent sarcastic.)

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I never once understood the allure of having some guy’s autograph. I’d be much happier with a handshake and a beer. A buddy of mine is a bartender in an upscale restaurant in the DC area and runs into athletes all the time. He’s never once asked for an autograph, but always comes back with interesting stories. (Apparently Orel Hershiser is one of the nicest guys he’s ever met.) I get autographs when you are a kid and collecting those sort of things are really fun and cool. But once you hit puberty, it’s time to move out of the way and let the kids have their fun. Guys in their 40’s fighting for foul balls and autographs just seems creepy.

• raysfan1 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I’ve no issue with autograph collecting, some folks like them that’s all. However, rules of common courtesy apply.

I was once flying back to Tampa with my daughter after a vacation, and we saw Tony Dungy and his younger son at a restaurant in the airport (Dulles). My daughter, then a young teenager, wanted to go get his autograph. I told her no, that I wouldn’t like some stranger interrupting our dinner and doubted he would either. (Others did, and he graciously signed.). Turned out he was on our flight. We got to talk with him. When we parted, I shook his hand and my daughter got her picture taken with him and his son. It was way better than any autograph could be.

• tigers182 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

The point of an autograph is a proven memory if meeting someone, which is why I never understood anyone buying an autograph from someone else. You can’t buy someone else’s memory.

I grew up near Alan Trammel and I remember him going to the playground or elsewhere with his kid, but was always mobbed by autograph seekers. He was always polite about it, but when they’re off duty, leave them alone. They don’t owe you anything.

4. granadafan - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Two years ago, my 10 year old son and his friends politely waited to get autographs from several Dodgers players who were appreciative that they weren’t mobbed. This middle aged guy comes barging in with a bagload of memorabilia and shoved the kids away for autographs. We were shocked at how aggressive he was at this. The players recognized him and told him to go away. Then he tried to bribe my son with 10 dollars to get a bat autographed. I almost took the bat and smacked him on the head. These guys are like paparazzi. Scum.

5. kyd29 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

brett should have smacked him. find a different way to make a living douchebag

• apkyletexas - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

The dude is lucky all he got were a few f-bombs, and Brett didn’t go after him with a pine-tar covered bat.

6. jm91rs - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I have very little experience with these lowlifes. I didn’t even pay attention to the fact that they existed until last year. I took my boy to a Reds vs. Brewers game in Milwaukee. We were in our Reds gear and my boy was hoping to get an autograph. I noticed a couple of kids had Mat Latos baseball cards waiting for his autograph. I looked back and there is a grown ass man with giant binders full of cards handing them to these 2 kids to go get autographs. He has a bag next to him with bats and balls and even a full size Brewers helmet. I don’t know if they were his kids or some kids he hired for his memorabilia business but that kind of ruined it for me.

7. favrewillplay4ever - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

If you do collect memorabilia or autos.. Get them in person or certified pack inserted ones.. If everyone did this, these guys would stop the nonsense and make players more comfortable signing again.

if I were a player, I’d only sign personalized items. Not too many people want signed items saying “it was nice to meet you, Jake” -George Brett. Resale value on personalized items is crap (unless you’re talking Lou Gehrig or Roberto Clemente types) and is nicer to have in a collection.

• yahmule - Nov 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Sounds extremely practical, especially if there’s a big group wanting signatures.

8. smillr58 - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Good for you George!!!

9. tom-a-hawk - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

there was an awful lot of pine tar on that pen.

10. joshfrancis50 - Nov 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM

George Brett is an effing boss.

11. km9000 - Nov 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

On the flip side, it must be weird for up and coming sports stars to learn to say no. An individual can only oblige so many people when it comes to (polite) autograph and charity requests. So it must take a while until you can decline without feeling a jerk, even though you have every right to do so.

12. yahmule - Nov 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM

When it comes to the autograph business, guys like this are actually among the least sleazy people in the industry. At least they’re getting real autographs, not peddling fake crap, which constitutes most of the signed merchandise available.

13. largebill - Nov 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I’m firmly in the leave ‘em alone camp.

Only exception I make is if I’m buying a book written by a player and he is having a signing I’ll get the book signed.

14. chrisernst82 - Nov 8, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Im 31 and half way collect autographed cardinals balls. Everytime I go to Busch I go to the team store and for 30 bucks you get a bag with a ? on it. One in like every 5 is autographed the other are game used balls. They are lined up on a table behind a counter, I have a method too lol. I go with the score say its 5-3 I go 5 rows back and 3 over. I seem to get an autograph 2/3 times. I plan on passing them down to my kids. Just a memory of a good time. The kids get a kick out of taking a ball hit by Yady or throw by Wainwright and playing catch, hell I do too. Im just a big kid who has been collecting anything Cardinals since I can remember. Much better than spending the same amount on a T shirt At the same time I go out to the bars downtown for a few after a win. Run into players every so often and have never even thought about asking for an autograph. It just seems weird, I don’t want to be that guy. Im much more content to offer my congrats and enjoying whatever storys they tell. Have a beer or 3 and back to the hotel, good times.

Losers who do this for a living should be blacklisted it undermines the whole experience for the kids. I can tell you the first time I ever see this happen to one of my kids or my Niece or nephew. The bum is gonna pay for it. If your an adult who wants something autographed pony up a few bucks and buy it from the stadium. Don’t ruin it for the kids, I know at some of the events at busch ive been there is an age limit on who can go up ti get one.

• yahmule - Nov 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM

How are they going to pay for it?

15. Tim's Neighbor - Nov 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

One of my favorite spring break moments from college was getting drunk at a spring training game and heckling the adult autograph hunters.

Yeah yeah, I know. But that was pretty risqué for a small private liberal arts school.

16. louhudson23 - Nov 9, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I have to say that it is entirely reasonable for an adult to seek an autograph for a child back home etc….. Again,personalizing an autograph pretty much removes the profitability factor…..

17. j0esixpack - Nov 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Tie goes to George Brett on this one.. and it’s not even a tie. The dude sounds like a creep

18. stercuilus65 - Nov 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Weird that he still signed the autgraph for him…

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5183)