Nov 8, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
UPDATE: Long and the rest of Girardi’s coaching staff will return for 2014, the Yankees just announced.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi has a new four-year contract, but hitting coach Kevin Long is still trying to work out a deal to remain on New York’s staff.
During an interview with WFAN radio Long made it clear that he wanted to stay with the Yankees, adding: “I talked to [general manager Brian Cashman] and we’re getting there.”
Long has been the Yankees’ hitting coach since 2007 and the offense has finished first or second among American League teams in scoring five times in those seven years, although they dropped to 10th this year for their lowest mark since way back in 1991.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)