Nov 8, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
UPDATE: Long and the rest of Girardi’s coaching staff will return for 2014, the Yankees just announced.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi has a new four-year contract, but hitting coach Kevin Long is still trying to work out a deal to remain on New York’s staff.
During an interview with WFAN radio Long made it clear that he wanted to stay with the Yankees, adding: “I talked to [general manager Brian Cashman] and we’re getting there.”
Long has been the Yankees’ hitting coach since 2007 and the offense has finished first or second among American League teams in scoring five times in those seven years, although they dropped to 10th this year for their lowest mark since way back in 1991.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)