Nov 8, 2013, 11:18 PM EDT
The third-annual Rawlings Platinum Glove Awards were announced earlier this evening, recognizing the best defensive player in each league. Orioles third baseman Manny Machado won the award for the American League while Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmons took home the honors for the National League.
Only those who won Rawlings Gold Glove Awards were eligible for the Platinum Glove Award. The winners were determined by a combination of a fan vote and SABR’s Defensive Index metric.
As you’ll see in the voting results below, Machado ran away with the award for the American League while Simmons won in a very close vote over Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina and Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez for the National League. Molina and Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre were the previous winners in each league.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)