Nov 8, 2013, 11:18 PM EDT
The third-annual Rawlings Platinum Glove Awards were announced earlier this evening, recognizing the best defensive player in each league. Orioles third baseman Manny Machado won the award for the American League while Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmons took home the honors for the National League.
Only those who won Rawlings Gold Glove Awards were eligible for the Platinum Glove Award. The winners were determined by a combination of a fan vote and SABR’s Defensive Index metric.
As you’ll see in the voting results below, Machado ran away with the award for the American League while Simmons won in a very close vote over Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina and Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez for the National League. Molina and Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre were the previous winners in each league.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)