Nov 8, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Ruben Amaro Jr. has made no secret about wanting to re-sign catcher Carlos Ruiz, but the GM also made it clear yesterday that the Phillies won’t wait around for him to make a decision.
Amaro told Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News that if Ruiz takes a long time to decide “I can assure you … there will be very little chance of bringing Chooch back. We can’t afford to miss out on other opportunities.”
Ruiz has already been linked to the Rockies and several contending teams with catching needs will surely be interested as well. Ruiz is 35 years old and posted a .688 OPS for his worst mark since 2008, but he batted .268 with a .741 OPS in 52 games after the All-Star break.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)