Nov 8, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Ruben Amaro Jr. has made no secret about wanting to re-sign catcher Carlos Ruiz, but the GM also made it clear yesterday that the Phillies won’t wait around for him to make a decision.
Amaro told Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News that if Ruiz takes a long time to decide “I can assure you … there will be very little chance of bringing Chooch back. We can’t afford to miss out on other opportunities.”
Ruiz has already been linked to the Rockies and several contending teams with catching needs will surely be interested as well. Ruiz is 35 years old and posted a .688 OPS for his worst mark since 2008, but he batted .268 with a .741 OPS in 52 games after the All-Star break.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 43
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 114
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (114)