Nov 8, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Ruben Amaro Jr. has made no secret about wanting to re-sign catcher Carlos Ruiz, but the GM also made it clear yesterday that the Phillies won’t wait around for him to make a decision.
Amaro told Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News that if Ruiz takes a long time to decide “I can assure you … there will be very little chance of bringing Chooch back. We can’t afford to miss out on other opportunities.”
Ruiz has already been linked to the Rockies and several contending teams with catching needs will surely be interested as well. Ruiz is 35 years old and posted a .688 OPS for his worst mark since 2008, but he batted .268 with a .741 OPS in 52 games after the All-Star break.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 0
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 19
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 35
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 47
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)