Nov 8, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
We’ve known for quite some time that the Yankees are expected to bid on Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears from sources that they are willing to go to great lengths in order to land him:
Sources with knowledge of the Yankees’ plans said they are “going to be bold” in bidding on the 25-year-old right-hander when the Rakuten Golden Eagles post him, likely later this month. Just how high the Yankees plan on going is unclear, but executives believe the winning bid for the rights to negotiate a contract with Tanaka will top $75 million, nearly a 50 percent premium over the posting fees for Yu Darvish and Daisuke Matsuzaka.
While a posting fee in the range of $75 million would establish a new record for a player coming over from Nippon Professional Baseball, it would not count towards a team’s luxury tax, which obviously appeals to the Yankees. Of course, the two sides would still have to agree on a contract, and we can probably expect something similar to the six-year, $60 million deal the Rangers gave to Darvish.
As Passan notes, the interesting angle with Tanaka is that we’re not sure how the posting process will work this time around, as MLB and NPB are currently negotiating on changes which could allow for the player to have more control on where they’ll end up. George A. King III of the New York Post reported earlier today that a resolution could still be “several weeks away.” The Yankees appear willing to outbid everyone in order to get their man, but the timing could complicate some offseason plans.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 65
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)