Nov 8, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
We’ve known for quite some time that the Yankees are expected to bid on Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears from sources that they are willing to go to great lengths in order to land him:
Sources with knowledge of the Yankees’ plans said they are “going to be bold” in bidding on the 25-year-old right-hander when the Rakuten Golden Eagles post him, likely later this month. Just how high the Yankees plan on going is unclear, but executives believe the winning bid for the rights to negotiate a contract with Tanaka will top $75 million, nearly a 50 percent premium over the posting fees for Yu Darvish and Daisuke Matsuzaka.
While a posting fee in the range of $75 million would establish a new record for a player coming over from Nippon Professional Baseball, it would not count towards a team’s luxury tax, which obviously appeals to the Yankees. Of course, the two sides would still have to agree on a contract, and we can probably expect something similar to the six-year, $60 million deal the Rangers gave to Darvish.
As Passan notes, the interesting angle with Tanaka is that we’re not sure how the posting process will work this time around, as MLB and NPB are currently negotiating on changes which could allow for the player to have more control on where they’ll end up. George A. King III of the New York Post reported earlier today that a resolution could still be “several weeks away.” The Yankees appear willing to outbid everyone in order to get their man, but the timing could complicate some offseason plans.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)