Nov 8, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
We’ve known for quite some time that the Yankees are expected to bid on Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears from sources that they are willing to go to great lengths in order to land him:
Sources with knowledge of the Yankees’ plans said they are “going to be bold” in bidding on the 25-year-old right-hander when the Rakuten Golden Eagles post him, likely later this month. Just how high the Yankees plan on going is unclear, but executives believe the winning bid for the rights to negotiate a contract with Tanaka will top $75 million, nearly a 50 percent premium over the posting fees for Yu Darvish and Daisuke Matsuzaka.
While a posting fee in the range of $75 million would establish a new record for a player coming over from Nippon Professional Baseball, it would not count towards a team’s luxury tax, which obviously appeals to the Yankees. Of course, the two sides would still have to agree on a contract, and we can probably expect something similar to the six-year, $60 million deal the Rangers gave to Darvish.
As Passan notes, the interesting angle with Tanaka is that we’re not sure how the posting process will work this time around, as MLB and NPB are currently negotiating on changes which could allow for the player to have more control on where they’ll end up. George A. King III of the New York Post reported earlier today that a resolution could still be “several weeks away.” The Yankees appear willing to outbid everyone in order to get their man, but the timing could complicate some offseason plans.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 23
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)