Nov 8, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
We’ve known for quite some time that the Yankees are expected to bid on Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears from sources that they are willing to go to great lengths in order to land him:
Sources with knowledge of the Yankees’ plans said they are “going to be bold” in bidding on the 25-year-old right-hander when the Rakuten Golden Eagles post him, likely later this month. Just how high the Yankees plan on going is unclear, but executives believe the winning bid for the rights to negotiate a contract with Tanaka will top $75 million, nearly a 50 percent premium over the posting fees for Yu Darvish and Daisuke Matsuzaka.
While a posting fee in the range of $75 million would establish a new record for a player coming over from Nippon Professional Baseball, it would not count towards a team’s luxury tax, which obviously appeals to the Yankees. Of course, the two sides would still have to agree on a contract, and we can probably expect something similar to the six-year, $60 million deal the Rangers gave to Darvish.
As Passan notes, the interesting angle with Tanaka is that we’re not sure how the posting process will work this time around, as MLB and NPB are currently negotiating on changes which could allow for the player to have more control on where they’ll end up. George A. King III of the New York Post reported earlier today that a resolution could still be “several weeks away.” The Yankees appear willing to outbid everyone in order to get their man, but the timing could complicate some offseason plans.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)