Nov 8, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Not even mid-November yet and we’re already into the “do they like him or do they like like him?” phase of free agency. With the Red Sox and Tim Hudson, they seem to like like him, reports Jon Heyman. Heyman adds that the Sox are “big admirers” of Hudson and that they “really want him.”
He is attractive. For one thing he’s bald, and bald is beautiful. For another thing he’s a free agent pitcher who neither will require a really long contract nor has a qualifying offer attached to him, thereby not costing a would-be signing team a draft pick. And he’s still a decent pitcher at age 38, having gone 8-7 with a 3.97 ERA in 21 starts last year.
It was only 21 starts because of the broken ankle he suffered in that game against the Mets. On that score, David O’Brein of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Hudson had a screw removed from his ankle today and will be cleared to run in couple of weeks. So all signs point to him being ready for spring training.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 87
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)