The Red Sox “really want” Tim Hudson

Nov 8, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT

Tim Hudson Reuters

Not even mid-November yet and we’re already into the “do they like him or do they like like him?” phase of free agency. With the Red Sox and Tim Hudson, they seem to like like him, reports Jon Heyman. Heyman adds that the Sox are “big admirers” of Hudson and that they “really want him.”

He is attractive. For one thing he’s bald, and bald is beautiful. For another thing he’s a free agent pitcher who neither will require a really long contract nor has a qualifying offer attached to him, thereby not costing a would-be signing team a draft pick. And he’s still a decent pitcher at age 38, having gone 8-7 with a 3.97 ERA in 21 starts last year.

It was only 21 starts because of the broken ankle he suffered in that game against the Mets. On that score, David O’Brein of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Hudson had a screw removed from his ankle today and will be cleared to run in couple of weeks. So all signs point to him being ready for spring training.

1. tfbuckfutter - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Sure.

Matt Clement worked out so well. Let’s please import another old NL pitcher (although he at least has AL experience).

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Jesus Christ.

I am never going to be able to keep Clement and Dumpster straight.

• 18thstreet - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Matt Clement was a great signing right up until the moment he got hit in the head with a batted ball, ending his career.

Theo should have seen it coming.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I hate when I make this mistake because someone comes in and points this out.

Look at Matt Clement’s splits for the month leading up to him getting hit. His ERA was 8.88 in 5 games leading up to being hit.

He actually pitched better in 11 games AFTER being hit than he did in the 5 BEFORE.

• 18thstreet - Nov 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Regarding that 8.88 ERA: Jon Lester’s ERA in five games in the middle of his season was 6.90. Seems like cherry-picking stats to me.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM

And blowing out his shoulder in 2006 is what ended his career.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Bryce Florie is the pitcher who actually had his career ended by taking a shot on the mound.

• 18thstreet - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

(a) You could make this easier if you’d respond once instead of three times.

(b) In 2005, Matt Clement’s first-half ERA was 3.85. He was an All-Star.

(b.1) You remember who the big free agent pitching prize of that off-season was? Carl Pavano. More money per year, more years, and (of course) more total money. So — I’m not sure this is to Theo’s credit — he at least made a better choice than Cashman did.

(c) No one is interested in rehabbing a pitcher who looks as bad as Clement did at that point in his career. So while it may be true that, in a literal sense, an arm injury “ended” Clement’s career, I don’t think that real describes what happened. But neither of us knows that for sure.

(d) Poor Bryce Florie. But what I meant was that Clement was never the same after getting hit in the head, not that he literally never pitched again. Sorry for being imprecise.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM

5 starts is cherry-picking but judging him a “great signing” based on 18 isn’t also a small sample size? One that was trending in the opposite direction BEFORE the incident that supposedly ruined his career?

Was getting hit in the head also what caused his shoulder to stop functioning properly?

Again, he didn’t even miss a start after getting hit, AND HE PERFORMED BETTER THAN HE HAD BEEN.

And do you know what else happened in July of 2005? He had to pitch 5 straight games against the American League, after pitching 5 out of the previous 7 against the NL a streak in which he pitched to a 3.06 ERA.

Want to know what his ERA was in the 5 games before that 7 game stretch? 4.75.

So he actually had a rough 5 game stretch followed by a series mostly against the NL, followed by an INCREDIBLY AWFUL 5 game stretch and then he got hit.

His ERA went from a low of 3.06 on May 11th to 4.43 when he left the game on July 26.

If you don’t see a trend there….ok.

But just recognize that from May 17th to July 26 his ERA was 5.31 in 13 games.

And from August 4th to September 29th it was 4.86 in 11 starts.

Maybe if he got hit in the head again he could have worked his way back to the “All Star” level his up-and-down performance earned him the first time.

• 18thstreet - Nov 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

If only you spent this much effort telling Matt Clement from Ryan Dempster, you could have saved yourself a lot of time.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Sorry, I like numbers.

Numbers that show things like August being Clement’s second-best month in the 2005 season.

• yahmule - Nov 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Another blow to the head wouldn’t have made him an All Star again, but it would have caused him to temporarily lose his memory on a 70′s sit-com.

Do not try this at home.

• sabatimus - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

When Dumpster came in with something like an 8-run lead in the postseason, I was still afraid he might blow the game. He has a habit of turning every hitter into a potential home run machine.

• stevequinn - Nov 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Once a Cub, always a Cub. I thought Cherrington had lost his mind when he signed Dupester.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM

AL GMs always have to learn the hard way….

“Hey, here’s a middling NL pitcher….lets throw lots of money at him because he’s sure to replicate or even improve on that performance once he has to face 9 actual hitters every time through the order….”

It occasionally works out with top of the line guys, but hardly ever with middle to back of the order guys.

It’s a goldmine going the other way, but in general signing NL pitchers is a terrible idea.

2. kmsraj51 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Reblogged this on KMSRAJ51-Always Positive Thinker.

3. steve7921 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

reported by Jon Heymans for which agent again?

4. kgsmith - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM

As a life long Boston fan, I am not understanding why they need a 38 year old pitcher.. Unless they are going to use some of the pitching that they already have to make a trade for Miami’s Stanton?
    s

• 18thstreet - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Makes no sense to me. Doubront, Workman, Webster, Britton, Barnes, Tazawa … the Sox don’t need them all to work out, just one of them. The rotation is already Lester-Buccholz-Lackey-Peavy-Doubront. They’ll all signed for next year. Heck, they even have (sigh) Dempster, who is the best option for a sixth starter if if one of those five isn’t ready in April.

Here’s a crazy theory (assuming the story is true). The Sox trade Buccholz to the Marlins, picking up almost all of his salary. And then the Sox need another starting pitcher.

I don’t see it.

• dan1111 - Nov 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Can Hudson make 162 starts? Because the Sox would have to trade their entire rotation to the Marlins to land Stanton.

• 18thstreet - Nov 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Clay Buccholz is under contract for a couple more years, so the Red Sox could pick up that money. There’s a bunch of young talent — Doubront, Barnes, Workman — who are major-league ready. (Though Barnes probably ought to start the year in AAA, regardless of the franchise.) Webster is highly regarded, as is De La Rosa. Jackie Bradley, Jr., is penciled in as a starting outfielder for the Sox.

I guess what I’m saying is that if I were the Marlins and the Red Sox offered me Buccholz (plus money), Jackie Bradley, Jr., Doubront and Workman, I’d have to consider it. But I don’t believe we know what the Marlins’ franchise’s motivations are. If they’re just looking to spend as little as possible, then they should keep Stanton and trade him next year. I think that’s how they roll.

5. 21stnprime - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM

he’s willing to grow out the beard too

6. keltictim - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t we have 6 starting pitchers already? So to add another “older” pitcher would seem a tad odd. Wow did I really call 38 older. It used to be funny now at my advanced age of 33 it doesn’t seem do funny anymore. Curse you Father Time even if your beard is magnificent. Curse you all the same.

• pastabelly - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Yes, the Red Sox have “strong interest” and “really want” everyone whom they aren’t serious about. They already have this guy (see Jake Peavy and Ryan Dempster) and solid depth among starters. After 2014, they could lose Lester, Peavy, and Dempster. Hopefully, by that time Owens, Ranaudo, and maybe Barnes will be ready.

• 18thstreet - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM

On the one hand, you can never have too much pitching. On the other hand, you can have too many players who believe they are entitled to start.

Doubront didn’t take his demotion to the bullpen well, and I don’t think Dempster did, either. (And they deserved the demotion!) So unless they’re going to unload one of their established starters to make room for him, I don’t see how it makes sense. Guys like Workman, I think, aren’t allowed to complain when established veterans like Peavy start in front of them.

I think the Sox are dealing from a position of strength, and I expect them to trade a starter this off-season. They have a several potential starters waiting in the bullpen and in Pawtucket. There’s no such thing as a pitching prospect, but you have to believe one or two of these guys are going to be major league All-Stars — it’s just not clear which franchise it will be for or if it happens in the next three years.

Lackey is going to be earning the league minimum in 2015. Lester is pretty affordable as a one-year rental. Peavy is … uh … well-regarded by everyone except my wife and me, who just don’t understand why everyone loves the guy. Doubront is a young lefty who just had a GREAT World Series. Not sure about Buccholz, since he did not have a great World Series, and anyone would have to be concerned about how durable he is.

7. paperlions - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Does Boston have more than the requisite 25 roster spots?

8. mgv38 - Nov 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Do they “like him,” or do they “LIKE HIM, like him”?

• yahmule - Nov 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I dunno. I’ll slip them a note during gym class.

9. knowlegeforyou - Nov 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Clement has nothing g to do with whether or not Huddy should sign with the Sox

10. blynch67 - Nov 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I’m a Yankee fan and I don’t understand this one at all.

11. clydeserra - Nov 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM