Nov 9, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
The resurgent campaigns of Ubaldo Jimenez and Scott Kazmir played a significant part in why the Indians won 92 games and made it to the American League Wild Card game, but the club will likely have some rotation holes to fill this winter. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that “little progress” has been made in negotiations with either pitcher and believes that they will find better offers elsewhere.
Jimenez already declined his part of an $8 million mutual option with the Indians and is expected to turn down a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer before Monday’s deadline. The 29-year-old right-hander was a mess during most of his time in Cleveland, but he’s understandably looking to cash in after some mechanical changes resulted in a 1.82 ERA and 100/27 K/BB ratio in 84 innings after the All-Star break.
Kazmir was one of the biggest surprises of the 2013 season, returning from obscurity to post a 4.04 ERA and 162/47 K/BB ratio over 158 innings while showing his best fastball velocity since he was a member of the Rays. He doesn’t turn 30 until January and hopes to parlay his bounce-back season into a multi-year deal. Meanwhile, the Indians don’t want to go beyond one year.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)