Nov 9, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
The resurgent campaigns of Ubaldo Jimenez and Scott Kazmir played a significant part in why the Indians won 92 games and made it to the American League Wild Card game, but the club will likely have some rotation holes to fill this winter. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that “little progress” has been made in negotiations with either pitcher and believes that they will find better offers elsewhere.
Jimenez already declined his part of an $8 million mutual option with the Indians and is expected to turn down a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer before Monday’s deadline. The 29-year-old right-hander was a mess during most of his time in Cleveland, but he’s understandably looking to cash in after some mechanical changes resulted in a 1.82 ERA and 100/27 K/BB ratio in 84 innings after the All-Star break.
Kazmir was one of the biggest surprises of the 2013 season, returning from obscurity to post a 4.04 ERA and 162/47 K/BB ratio over 158 innings while showing his best fastball velocity since he was a member of the Rays. He doesn’t turn 30 until January and hopes to parlay his bounce-back season into a multi-year deal. Meanwhile, the Indians don’t want to go beyond one year.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 48
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 40
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)