Jose Offerman nowhere to be found as lawsuit for 2007 attack looms

Nov 9, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT

Jose Offerman AP AP

You may remember when former major league infielder Jose Offerman attacked two players with a bat while he was a member of the independent Long Island Ducks back in 2007. He may now have to pay for it. If someone can track him down, that is.

John Nathans, one of the players involved in the attack, suffered a head injury which ended his baseball career and sued Offerman and the Ducks for $4.8 million in 2009. The matter is pending in federal court in Connecticut, but the Associated Press reports that Offerman is nowhere to be found:

As a federal lawsuit over the attack heads to trial, the attorney for the journeyman catcher whose career was ended with a swing of Offerman’s bat doesn’t know where the two-time All-Star is – and doesn’t expect him to show up for court.

J. Craig Smith, the attorney for former Bridgeport Bluefins catcher John Nathans, tried to serve Offerman with discovery documents in recent months, with no success.

“It’s been so difficult for me to track him down,” Smith said. “I certainly don’t expect Offerman to show up at court.”

Offerman was charged with felony assault after the attack, but it was dismissed after he was granted a probation program and ordered to take anger management classes. They apparently didn’t do him any good, as he was banned from the Dominican Winter League for life after throwing a punch at an umpire while serving as the manager of the Licey Tigers in 2010. While there’s record of him living in the New York City area, he has flown under the radar ever since.

The trial, scheduled for January, could still go on even if Offerman doesn’t show up to defend himself and he could be held liable for Smith’s injuries. The Ducks have denied any wrongdoing.

1. tfbuckfutter - Nov 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Awfulman has a nasty habit of completely disappearing.

It’s been that way since the 2nd season of the contract he signed with Boston.

2. saints97 - Nov 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Coward.

3. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Nov 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Ask his 19 year old WWE daughter Jojo, whose career isn’t going anywhere. I WISH she showed the type of intensity her father’s shown on the diamond, but yeah no. Good luck in your future endeavors kid.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I didn’t know his daughter was a wrestler.

I also didn’t know people still follow wrestling.

• raysfan1 - Nov 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Or that there was anyone who didn’t realize the results in professional wrestling are scripted.

4. yahmule - Nov 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I liked him better when he was known as Jose Oh-fer Man, not Jose the felonious bat flailing fugitive.

5. Stiller43 - Nov 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Raysfan,

I dont think anyone here claimed the results arent scripted…

But in wrestlings defense (it was fun in my childhood, afterall), every show on tv is scripted…everyone knows it, yet people watch to be entertained by the stories.

No different in wrestling.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

• yahmule - Nov 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM

The kind of stuff that’s so embarrassing you have to watch it through your fingers makes me laugh the hardest.

6. tackleberries - Nov 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM

You know what’s a fun game? Pro wrestler: dead or alive. You and a buddy take turns naming a wrestler you remember when you were a kid. You guess dead or alive and then google to find the results and assign a point system. You can only play it once really but man is it fun. Some of these guys died in really dramatic ways.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Owen Hart!

Ooohhh….too soon (I actually remember people being so mad when Craig Kilborn made a joke about The Blue Blazer’s partner (Red Tie or something) being ok).

I actually brought up Bam Bam Bigelow earlier today who I am quite sure died (but for some reason I think King Kong Bundy is still alive….I will look it up after I push Post Comment).

• yahmule - Nov 9, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Dead Wrestler of the Week is really excellent.

7. Jack Marshall - Nov 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM

If you had asked me to guess where a thread about Jose Offerman’s legal troubles would end up, I’m pretty sure “dead professional wrestlers” would be at the bottom of the list.

• NatsLady - Nov 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM

OK, that wins the Internet today. Now, can you help me clean up the Chinese food I spit out while laughing?

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM

If you wait long enough, all conversations on the internet turn into a discussion of dead wrestlers.

It’s called The Godwinn Brothers’ Law.

(I’m not going to lie….that one is pretty obscure).

8. walterwhite1976 - Nov 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Last time he was spotted was with Kenny Powers in Mexico Chickenfighting with a Midget.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I heard he had been hired to drive a truckload of nitroglycerine over the mountains to one of the mining towns.

• yahmule - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  9. Tim's Neighbor - Nov 10, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Jose Offerman leans over ever so slightly to his left in hammock. He picks up the paper provided to him by his Honduran errant boy. He flips to the fifth page in the sports section to find himself being sued.

He sets the paper down and laughs. “Viva la Honduras!” he yells.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2842)