Nov 9, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Mike Puma of the New York Post reported yesterday that Scott Boras was marketing free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo for a contract in the range of $90 million, but ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick hears that he is aiming much, much higher.
That would obviously be an absurd amount of coin for Choo, but as we learned with Werth, it only takes one team to blow away all expectations. Can’t blame Boras for trying. My guess is that he’ll find enough interest to settle somewhere in the middle of those two figures, which will at least get him over the $100 million mark and exceed Hunter Pence‘s recent five-year, $90 million extension with the Giants.
Choo, 31, batted .285/.423/.462 with 21 home runs and 54 RBI over 154 games with the Reds this season. He boasts a .389 career on-base percentage.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)