“A bunch of teams moving quick” on Stephen Drew

Nov 10, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT

stephen drew throwing getty Getty Images

Because he received a qualifying offer from the Red Sox and signing him will require the forfeiture of a top draft pick, there was some thought that free agent shortstop Stephen Drew might struggle to attract multiple lucrative offers on the open market this offseason. But that apparently won’t be the case.

A source told Rob Bradford of WEEI on Saturday that “a bunch of teams (are) moving quick” on Drew, who inked a one-year, $9.5 million deal with Boston last winter and is now looking to cash in big.

The 30-year-old former first-round pick hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 home runs and 67 RBI in 124 games this summer for the World Series champs while playing his usual brand of steady defense at short.

The other shortstops on the market this winter: Jhonny Peralta, Robert Andino, Clint Barmes, Willie Bloomquist, Jamey Carroll, Alexi Casilla, Luis Cruz, Rafael Furcal, Alex Gonzalez, Nick Green, Brendan Harris, Cesar Izturis, Munenori Kawasaki, John McDonald, Cody Ransom and Brendan Ryan.

Red Sox manager John Farrell said last week on WEEI that he hopes Drew returns.

1. gibbyfan - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hopefully the Cardinals are not in that mix —somebody is going to way over pay for this guy. Would rather see them keep Kozma and not spend millions for a few more hits and marginally better defense…………

• cohnjusack - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM

The difference between Pete Kozma and Stephen Drew is far, far greater than “a few more hits”. Let me name a few of them:

Stephen Drew ranked 6th in wOBA for shortstops with at least 400 PAs
      Pete Kozma ranked 24th…out of 24!
      In fact, Pete Kozma ranked last in wOBA in all of Major League Baseball.

“A few more hits” was actually 23 more hits, 20 more walks, 9 more doubles, 7 more triples and 12 more home runs.

In his worst season, Drew’s OPS was more than 100 points better than Pete Kozma’s.

Yes, someone might overpay for Drew. It’s what typically happens in free agent time. But please, let’s not disgrace the truly beautiful awfulness of Pete Kozma by saying Drew just gives you “a few more hits”

• gibbyfan - Nov 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Guys—Not a major advocate of money ball here but to me 23 hits over 6 months can reasonably be characterized as a few more hits. I meaqn it’s not like it’s Tulo we are talking about here. Of course Drew would be an improvement but C’mon –are you guys kidding. Let’s say Drew gets 15 million for 6-7 years–are you serious you want to see them lock up that kind of payroll—remember we are not the Dodgers/Yankees/Angels/ and other where $$ simply do not matter…….so you really want to Pay Drew what we are paying Yadi. We need to keep options open here for when a real value comes laong—Tha’t how the cards have always done it and hopefully will continue

• cohnjusack - Nov 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM

The distance between Earth and the Moon can be reasonably characterized as “just over there” when you’re comparing it to the distance between Earth and Pluto. 23 hits over 6 months is quite a lot. Not to mention an additional 20 walks that all hits aren’t created equal, as Drew had FAAAR more extra base hits.

You’re welcome to say “I don’t think we should overpay for Drew”, but I’m not going to ignore flagrant intellectual dishonesty by claiming the difference between Drew and Kozma is “just a few hits”.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

23 hits over 600 PAs is 38 pts of OBP and at least 38 pts of SLG…..add in at least 20 more walks, and we are talking 65 pts of OBP…..and Drew has a LOT more power than Kozma. The offensive difference over the course of a season is huge.

• gibbyfan - Nov 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Intellectual dishonesty Cohn –Really? and you are the one interjecting astronomy here………Let me try to get it down to heart very basic math–and by the way thank you for letting me know that it’s ok for me to express an opinion…………Drew is flat out not worth 15 million/year more than Kozma —He’s certainly way better but not that much better– Especially factoing the drain of that money over several years –and I’m pretty sure that the only people who really matter…..like Mo and the ownership will see it that way too…………intellectually dishonest as that may make them in your eyes.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I would rather see them overpay for Drew than have Kozma on the 40 man roster for a single more day. They can always spend more money, but you only have so many outs to give away each game. There isn’t a single think that Kozma does better than Drew.

• danwilliamsmlb - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I disagree; Drew doesn’t log anywhere near the mirror time in the clubhouse as Kozma. Pete always looks his pimp best when he goes out to stink it up on the field.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Okay, okay. You are right. The late season stylings of Kozma were off-the-charts awesome. The combo mullet-scruffy beard were fantastic. In that regard, drew is about as boring as you could be.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM

If Kozma would consider doing a Tommy Herr style perm-mullet….I’d be on board with him being a bench player…as long as they always show him jogging out to his position in slow motion to capture the awesomeness of the mullet in all of its glory.

• danwilliamsmlb - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM

The Herr idea is interesting. My concern with it is that with all the junk Pete puts on his hair, he could wind up on the DL with a broken mullet and we all know how long it takes to recover from an injury like that.

• wlschneider09 - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Mullet injuries can be career ending. Isn’t that what happened to Kenny Powers and John Kruk?

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Historically, this was true and of great concern; however, thanks to the wonders of modern medicine (weaves, hair implants, propecia, etc.), the aging curve for mullets can effectively be reversed.

• danwilliamsmlb - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

It sure was. It’s a shame more isn’t being done to address the issue, really. Perhaps we should have all the teams wear flannel in April for Mullet Trauma Awareness Month.

• danwilliamsmlb - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Good point, Paper. It’s so nice to know there is at least some hope in fighting this awful condition.

• jwbiii - Nov 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Propecia? Is that on the banned substance list?

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Not yet….just wait until a little known beat writer sees it in a guys locker and writes about it…that’ll probably lead to gnashing of teeth, wringing of hands, congressional hearings, and eventually another suite of banned substances….and a lot of guys with fantastic manes of hair being kept out of the HOF because of baseless suspicions by bald jealous writers.

• hustleandflomax - Nov 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

not my first choice either, but I’d take him on the Cards’ roster. Even if it is an overpay. The Cards are dropping a lot of payroll in 2014 and will easily be able to afford him. I don’t want to watch another season of Koz and Descalso…I just can’t do it.

• raynman49 - Nov 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Why are you talking baseball on a mullet blog….geez.

2. proudlycanadian - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM

There only seems to be 2 decent players on this list, so if a team needs a starting shortstop, it does have to talk with either Drew or Peralta.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Of course, another option is a trade with Texas.

• dondada10 - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Could Reyes be available?

• proudlycanadian - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM

• gibbyfan - Nov 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

As I have mentione don here several times—that’s the path I woul dprefer that take.

• gibbyfan - Nov 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Don.You might be on to soemthing with that—The Jays are a mess even after spending all that money and making supposedly great trades—I wonder if they would part with Reyes……..He would fit well with the Cards—and maybe we could get Rasmus back to satisfy those concerened with defense in CF

3. Glenn - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Your first statement might be correct, but Kozma had a negative WAR this year while Drew had a respectable 3.1 WAR. That’s a pretty big difference. Kozma is not remotely comparable to Drew.

4. pastabelly - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I’d rather have Drew at 3/39 than Kozma for nothing.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I’d rather have Drew at 4/$60M than Kozma.

The team has money to spend….and there are NOT a lot of guys that represent clear upgrades for them to spend it on. The team defense was bad last year. Upgrading at both offense and defense in one move would be huge….the only problem with Drew is that he’s a lefty…along with much of the Cardinal current lineup and seemingly every hitting prospect they have coming along (Adams, Taveras, Wong, Ramsey).

• spudchukar - Nov 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Not sure being lefty is a disadvantage. He cannot play everyday, and Kozma is a viable replacement against lefties. Cards have a bit of a dilemma in the utility player roles. Kozma would be better suited to get AB’s at AAA. I say this because it is more accurate to say he doesn’t hit rather than cannot hit.

I wish I could put my finger on his offensive troubles. Mostly I believe it is because he is a kinda drop and drive hitter. All that movement with his legs before he strikes at the ball makes constant squaring up difficult. But unlike most short stops who cannot hit pitchers do not knock the bat out of his hands. Like I said his failures are unique, and I believe correctable, to a degree. To what degree I don’t know, but he probably cannot correct that with limited ABs.

But Descalso cannot be the alternative. He just isn’t a SS, and it isn’t his fault. He is an excellent third base option, and average at 2B. 2013 was an outlier for him defensively, but he still isn’t a SS.

A similar problem exists in CF. Assuming the Cards either go to Taveras or make a deal for another center fielder, the Cards then have Jay and Robinson. Jay is a lefty like Taveras, and not much of an upgrade, especially if 2013 is indication as to how he is going to perform in center from here on out.

If Wong gets the opportunity to start most games, and Carpenter moves to 3rd, then Freese is either relegated to a bench player/platoon guy or he is traded. Platooning him means Carpenter has to move back and forth, not exactly ideal.

Personally I would like to see the Cards move Jay, Freese, Kozma, Lynn/and or Miller, and one of Gast/Garcia/Lyons. Acquire a top-tier center fielder, and shortstop AND a utility right-hand hitting infielder/outfielder, and they would be set for the next few years.

Their payroll is only $76 mil. That puts them in Tampa Bay/Pittsburgh/Kansas City territory. Spend some money dammit. The fans deserve it.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The payroll isn’t quite that low. There are about $20M in raises due to guys already on the roster. Their bench needs help. If they could wind up with guys like Freese/Jay on the bench and get them 300-400 ABs, that would help with depth and bench options. Freese probably still has some trade value at this point, since he was actually very good in 2012….2013 could have been a blip….but man, he sure looked unathletic…maybe he had a bunch of nagging injuries, but he started looking old.

Like most fans, I never want to see the Cardinals trade away their talented prospects, but they don’t have room for everyone and they had needs….so, even though it’ll hurt, I am hoping they can find a way to use their depth in some areas to fill holes or strengthen weaknesses.

As you note, some of the guys they have are useful….it would just be nice if they weren’t the best option to start. So….they REALLY need a SS, and they could use a true CFer, moving Jay to the bench. I am curious about the relative effects of playing RF versus 1B on Craig’s health…he has to do a lot more at 1B than in RF…so a move to the OF might help him stay healthier.

• spudchukar - Nov 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Well I had a lengthy response, but once again this sorry site, lost the thread. I am so sick and tired of having postings disappear, that I am ready to call it quits here. It is happening more and more often.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I’ve just started going to pages that don’t refresh and posting responses from there.

• spudchukar - Nov 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Yeah, but then I scroll and lose them there. I think I am looking for a different site.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM

yeah, I’ve done that too.

I’ve looked at a few other sites…..usually the comment sections are just chock full of silliness or stupidity….just like a tidal wave of it that makes it impossible to have a debate or conversation.

If you find a good alternative, give me a heads up.

5. buffalo65 - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

No chance on Reyes

6. thebadguyswon - Nov 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Oh man….this is going to be a terrible overpay for someone, hopefully not the Mets.

7. happytwinsfan - Nov 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

is the market for an apparently solid but not outstanding shortstop now 14 million plus, plus a high draft choice. anybody know – is the new tv money that big

• gibbyfan - Nov 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I dont think it is for the Cardinals

8. perryt200 - Nov 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I doubt the Cards ‘pay’ for a short stop. I think they will trade for one.

9. slaugin - Nov 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM

As a Sox fan I want Bogaerts to be playing SS Now. That being said he is a very good Defensive player and there aren’t many offensive players at his position that are better. Lefties are a big problem for him though. He is probably going to get 3-4 years, somewhere in the 12-14 mil a year ballpark IMO unless some team completely over values him and is drunk, which could happen

10. stenilintom - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Let us all hope that Drew accepts an offer from any other team except from the Red Sox. He was a flash in the pan and the RS would regret signing him.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2790)