Nov 10, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Ignacio Serrano of El Emergente, El Nacional and ESPN Deportes reports that veteran left-hander Ted Lilly has signed on with Navegantes del Magallanes of the Venezuelan Winter League, arriving in the South American country Saturday with the hope of establishing some MLB free agent value.
Lilly has made just 13 total starts over the last two seasons due to neck and shoulder injuries and posted a 5.09 ERA (71 ERA+) in 23 innings this summer for the Dodgers before being released.
The 37-year-old was said to be nearing a minor league deal with the Giants in August, but that fell through when the two sides couldn’t agree to a defined callup date.
Lilly will want to prove he’s healthy in the VWL before jumping back into MLB’s free agent pool.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 26
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)