Nov 10, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
Ignacio Serrano of El Emergente, El Nacional and ESPN Deportes reports that veteran left-hander Ted Lilly has signed on with Navegantes del Magallanes of the Venezuelan Winter League, arriving in the South American country Saturday with the hope of establishing some MLB free agent value.
Lilly has made just 13 total starts over the last two seasons due to neck and shoulder injuries and posted a 5.09 ERA (71 ERA+) in 23 innings this summer for the Dodgers before being released.
The 37-year-old was said to be nearing a minor league deal with the Giants in August, but that fell through when the two sides couldn’t agree to a defined callup date.
Lilly will want to prove he’s healthy in the VWL before jumping back into MLB’s free agent pool.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (87)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)