Nov 10, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
Ignacio Serrano of El Emergente, El Nacional and ESPN Deportes reports that veteran left-hander Ted Lilly has signed on with Navegantes del Magallanes of the Venezuelan Winter League, arriving in the South American country Saturday with the hope of establishing some MLB free agent value.
Lilly has made just 13 total starts over the last two seasons due to neck and shoulder injuries and posted a 5.09 ERA (71 ERA+) in 23 innings this summer for the Dodgers before being released.
The 37-year-old was said to be nearing a minor league deal with the Giants in August, but that fell through when the two sides couldn’t agree to a defined callup date.
Lilly will want to prove he’s healthy in the VWL before jumping back into MLB’s free agent pool.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 13
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)