Nov 11, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
The Mets have some money to spend this offseason with the contracts of Johan Santana, Jason Bay, and Frank Francisco coming off the books, but don’t expect them to go after any of the big ticket items in free agency.
If Alderson stays true to his word, it’s safe to assume this takes the Mets out of the mix for players like Robinson Cano, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Shin-Soo Choo. There could be others, depending on how the market plays out.
While Choo would be a great fit for the Mets, Alderson’s comments ultimately don’t come as a big surprise. However, it’s unclear whether this is due to his philosophy/valuation or ownership’s unwillingness (or inability) to spend big. It could be a combination of both factors.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York was told by a “Mets insider” earlier this month that the team plans to use a similar approach as the Red Sox did last offseason, signing multiple mid-tier free agents rather than splurging on one player. They are also expected to be active in the trade market.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)