Nov 11, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
The Mets have some money to spend this offseason with the contracts of Johan Santana, Jason Bay, and Frank Francisco coming off the books, but don’t expect them to go after any of the big ticket items in free agency.
If Alderson stays true to his word, it’s safe to assume this takes the Mets out of the mix for players like Robinson Cano, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Shin-Soo Choo. There could be others, depending on how the market plays out.
While Choo would be a great fit for the Mets, Alderson’s comments ultimately don’t come as a big surprise. However, it’s unclear whether this is due to his philosophy/valuation or ownership’s unwillingness (or inability) to spend big. It could be a combination of both factors.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York was told by a “Mets insider” earlier this month that the team plans to use a similar approach as the Red Sox did last offseason, signing multiple mid-tier free agents rather than splurging on one player. They are also expected to be active in the trade market.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (118)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)