MTV and Major League Baseball are teaming up

Nov 11, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT

MTV

What’s more unexpected: that MTV is doing a show about Major League Baseball or that David Ortiz and Andrew McCutchen are getting creative credits?

MTV Networks and Major League Baseball said Monday they are collaborating on a weekly 30-episode series that melds pop culture and baseball. Ortiz and Pittsburgh Pirates All-Star outfielder Andrew McCutchen are both executive producers of the series, set to begin next spring around the start of the new season.

It’ll air on MTV2 and will be filmed in the Fan Cave in New York. It’ll be a decidedly off-the-field thing, dealing with music, lifestyles and stuff like that. MLB’s Executive VP for Business — Tim Brosnan — describes it as something which can promote the game to MTV’s younger demographic.

Which makes sense. For whatever can be said about baseball’s television ratings and overall popularity, the game’s fan base does tend to skew older. And one of the bigger criticisms of Major League Baseball is that it doesn’t do much to promote its stars or the game itself outside of baseball’s traditional, between-the-lines methods. It’s possible that such outreach could come off as ham-handed if handled the wrong way, but MTV is a pretty solid brand as far as youthful outreach goes.

It’ll be interesting to see how it turns out.

1. gosport474 - Nov 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Didn’t MTV used to show music videos?

• Glenn - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Man, you must be old.

• gosport474 - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Gee thanks, I resemble that remark.

• cohnjusack - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

They were all terrible music videos, so no great loss.

• bigmeechy74 - Nov 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Right. Every single music video from the early 80’s all the way through the 90’s was terrible. Brilliant comment

• cohnjusack - Nov 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Ahhh. Is someone having a sad day today and has to get bent out of shape about a joke to make themselves feel better?

Poor little you. :(

• historiophiliac - Nov 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Bite me. Take On Me is still the best.

• phreakin - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

No I think he’s more replying to the ignorant comment

• yahmule - Nov 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM

There’s really no reason for any network to show videos anymore. Nobody is going to sit around waiting for the video they like when they can pull it up online immediately.

• km9000 - Nov 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, people change channels as soon as a video comes up that they’re not interested in.

VH1 Classic used to be great, but they suffered the same problem and now have random old movies most of the day, like pretty much every other channel now.

2. Sideline Mob - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

When asked to comment, David Ortiz said, “THIS IS OUR F***ING CHANNEL.”

3. kicksave1980 - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I haven’t watched MTV in 20 years (Headbangers Ball was awesome), and I have no desire to do so now. But this is a good idea if they can pull it off. Why not show a different side to the players and give some exposure to a younger crowd?

• paperlions - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM

If they showed episodes of Headbangers Ball from the late 80s and early 90s today, I’d still watch it.

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I actually think they do but it’s on Mtv The Ocho.

• historiophiliac - Nov 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

OMG, every Memorial Day a bunch of dudes like you invade this part of the Frying Pan for the hairball event known as Rocklahoma. Urp. A weekend of Dokken, Ratt and heat stroke. Blech. Oh, and camping, so you can pee wherever. It’s a family event.

• paperlions - Nov 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Meh, I don’t want to see guys in their 40s and 50s (or worse) trying to act like they are in their 20s…that would just remind me how old I am…I have plenty of things for that. I’d rather watch the videos and wax nostalgic about my salad days.

• yahmule - Nov 11, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Not interested. Now a lineup of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath would be another story.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I was going to post the same thing. Good for baseball, let the younger crowd get a look at another side of the players.

But yea, MTV, I don’t even know who you are anymore. I remember when MTV launched. I remember Beavis and Butthead. I remember celebrity death match wrestling. I remember the Real World. Who knew THAT was the beginning of the end?

• clydeserra - Nov 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

dead or proudlycanadian?

• yahmule - Nov 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Beavis and Butthead was the apex for MTV. It has been a steady downhill slope ever since.

• cur68 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM

My Dog. I’d KILL for some Beavis & Butthead. New B&B, Ren & Stimpy . . . damn, man. Why, MTV? WHY did you stop that stuff? Those were the glory days…..gone forever and buried under a load of crap I don’t understand…..

Now? Well, MTV you can get of my lawn!

/hitches plaid trousers to nipple line and stomps off for shotgun….

4. tfbuckfutter - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

BRING BACK ROCK N WRESTLING!!!

I don’t think that was on Mtv and most everyone in it is dead now but bring it back dammit!

5. gregbeau - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I didn’t know MTV still existed, much lass that anyone still actually watched it.

6. csilojohnson - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

lol match made in heaven. Both pretty much invisible to todays youth. 15 years late MLB if your trying to fish out young viewers…

7. chacochicken - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I’d like to work with the History channel to show some ancient alien ghost baseball, please.

8. righthandofjustice - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Rob Manfred: Biogenesis sale of PED to minors not MLB’s concern.

Big Papi: I confessed I doped.

MTV: we have been dead among the younger generation of viewers for more than a decade.

I don’t see how this “promotion” goes anywhere if they are targeting the younger fans.

9. sdelmonte - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Reading this after reading about the Braves moving to the suburbs is interesting. On the one hand, there is serious thought being put into getting new audiences. On the other hand, the Braves are content to abandon an urban demographic that is clearly not that engaged. What does it all mean?

10. Old Gator - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

This means a lot of hiphop. Barf.

• historiophiliac - Nov 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

If I thought you’d actually give it serious consideration, I would post Rap God for you, OG.

• Old Gator - Nov 11, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Don’t bother. But if you want to post Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker live at Massey Hall, by all means….

• historiophiliac - Nov 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I like them too.

/gooses Gator

11. historiophiliac - Nov 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM

When I read the headline, I just knew that it meant Pearl Jam had a new video out!

12. km9000 - Nov 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

The old guys running MLB must’ve missed all the ads for “Bad Grandpa,” or somehow not heard about what happened at the VMAs.

But if it’s true kids actually don’t watch MTV anymore, (though I’m skeptical), maybe there’s hope for the country’s future.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4022)