Nov 11, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT
MTV Networks and Major League Baseball said Monday they are collaborating on a weekly 30-episode series that melds pop culture and baseball. Ortiz and Pittsburgh Pirates All-Star outfielder Andrew McCutchen are both executive producers of the series, set to begin next spring around the start of the new season.
It’ll air on MTV2 and will be filmed in the Fan Cave in New York. It’ll be a decidedly off-the-field thing, dealing with music, lifestyles and stuff like that. MLB’s Executive VP for Business — Tim Brosnan — describes it as something which can promote the game to MTV’s younger demographic.
Which makes sense. For whatever can be said about baseball’s television ratings and overall popularity, the game’s fan base does tend to skew older. And one of the bigger criticisms of Major League Baseball is that it doesn’t do much to promote its stars or the game itself outside of baseball’s traditional, between-the-lines methods. It’s possible that such outreach could come off as ham-handed if handled the wrong way, but MTV is a pretty solid brand as far as youthful outreach goes.
It’ll be interesting to see how it turns out.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)