Nov 11, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Jewett is reuniting with McClendon on Seattle’s bench.
Nationals third base coach Trent Jewett interviewed to replace Davey Johnson as manager last month, but the job went to Matt Williams instead and now it sounds like Jewett is likely leaving the organization instead of sticking around to be part of Williams’ staff.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Nationals have granted the Mariners permission to interview Jewett for their bench coach job under new manager Lloyd McClendon.
Jewett was McClendon’s third base coach with the Pirates in the early 2000s, so they’re getting the band back together.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)