Nov 11, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Jewett is reuniting with McClendon on Seattle’s bench.
Nationals third base coach Trent Jewett interviewed to replace Davey Johnson as manager last month, but the job went to Matt Williams instead and now it sounds like Jewett is likely leaving the organization instead of sticking around to be part of Williams’ staff.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Nationals have granted the Mariners permission to interview Jewett for their bench coach job under new manager Lloyd McClendon.
Jewett was McClendon’s third base coach with the Pirates in the early 2000s, so they’re getting the band back together.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 29
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 62
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 16
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)