Nov 11, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Jewett is reuniting with McClendon on Seattle’s bench.
Nationals third base coach Trent Jewett interviewed to replace Davey Johnson as manager last month, but the job went to Matt Williams instead and now it sounds like Jewett is likely leaving the organization instead of sticking around to be part of Williams’ staff.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Nationals have granted the Mariners permission to interview Jewett for their bench coach job under new manager Lloyd McClendon.
Jewett was McClendon’s third base coach with the Pirates in the early 2000s, so they’re getting the band back together.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)