Nov 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Today is the deadline for free agents to accept or decline qualifying offers made by teams and Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that Nelson Cruz has informed the Rangers he’ll reject the deal.
That means Cruz is confident he can do better than a one-year, $14.1 million deal on the open market. Not shocking, certainly, but interesting considering he’s a good but not great 33-year-old corner outfielder coming off a season in which he was suspended 50 games for performance-enhancing drugs and any team signing him would lose a draft pick.
When in the Rangers’ lineup Cruz hit .266 with 27 homers and an .833 OPS in 107 games, basically matching his career norms. If he signs elsewhere the Rangers will get a draft pick as compensation.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)