Nov 11, 2013, 3:57 PM EDT
There’s a big gulf between those two, but for what it’s worth:
The motives behind trading these guys differ, of course. Trading Porcello gets you talent for an MLB-regular starting pitcher, with the Tigers likely believing that Porcello’s production can be matched or exceeded my making Drew Smyly a regular. With Scherzer you have the “plug in Smyly” option there of course, but it’s way more about getting peak value and return in a trade of a starter while avoiding having to think about an extension.
There’s no such thing as having too much pitching. But when you have a lot of starting pitching like the Tigers do, you at least have options.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
But there’s a tale of bribery involved in all of this too.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Starting pitchers Francisco Liriano and Gerrit Cole off the Wild Card game roster, which is fairly typical.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Another night, another one-and-done game.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Not a ton of glitzy names here. At least not yet.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The A’s went all-in and busted. Now what will Billy Beane do?
Oct 1, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Behold, one of the worst “hot takes” you’ll see.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
My first take: cautious optimism.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Adam Dunn has no problem with not playing last night. And, apparently, does not plan to play again.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
He says it will allow athletes a place to talk with “no filter.” In reality, it’s likely to have way, way more filters than what currently exist.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:29 AM EDT
Bumgarner vs. Volquez is, on paper anyway, something of a mismatch. But as we saw in last night’s game, predicting these things is a fool’s errand.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:36 AM EDT
And Pedro Martinez absolutely roasts Yost for that.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:02 AM EDT
Yost’s controversial call fails to doom Royals after all.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:44 AM EDT
In-game losses left the A’s undermanned in defeat.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT
In case you missed it, here is the replay of Salvador Perez’s walkoff hit from Tuesday night’s AL Wild Card Game …
Oct 1, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
You get a bunt and you get a bunt and you get a bunt!
Oct 1, 2014, 1:10 AM EDT
Salvador Perez was held hitless in his first five at-bats of Tuesday’s American League Wild Card Game at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, but he smacked a walkoff RBI single down the left-field line in the 12th inning to give the Royals a 9-8 victory over the A’s.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
A’s center fielder Coco Crisp was removed from Tuesday night’s American League Wild Card Game before the bottom of the 11th inning with an apparent hamstring injury.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
We’ve got a brand new ballgame in Kansas City.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu will test his injured shoulder in a simulated game Wednesday. He’s hoping to start Game 3 of the NLDS in St. Louis.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Oakland opened the floodgates on the Royals in the sixth inning.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 26
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 66
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 26
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)