Nov 12, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
So I guess the “carefully dismantling the ballpark and shipping the component parts to Oakland or Tampa Bay” option was shot down in committee:
Atlanta’s mayor said Tuesday that the city will demolish Turner Field after the Braves leave for a new stadium in the suburbs in 2017. Mayor Kasim Reed said at a news conference that the stadium will not be left vacant after the team starts playing at a new field in Cobb County in three years.
The mayor said that the site will be used for “one of the largest developments for middle-class people that the city has ever had.” So I guess that means there will be a Chili’s there or something.
Seriously, though: quick demolition and redevelopment is better than seeing a stadium rust and fall into disrepair while folks pitch pie-in-the-sky plans to repurpose a building built for a single purpose. Those schemes never ever work.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)